Epilogue

Sara

"Sara" Casey scolded as Sara got out of Kai's truck, "You're going to be late!" Casey was walking down the steps of her and Kai's home. A jacket pulled snuggly around her, it was winter again and it had snowed the night before.

Sara opened the tailgate and grabbed the leash that she kept back there for new arrivals. She hooked the dog up and then helped it out of the truck. The three-legged dog had its tail tucked between its legs as it looked at Casey. Sara spoke in even tones, reassuring the dog that it was safe. Sara led the dog inside and over to the dog room.

"I couldn't let Gus Gus here stay another night at the shelter. His time would have arrived while Kai and I were gone and no one else was adopting him. He qualified for rescue; Jerry will tend the dogs while we are gone. Gus is already familiar with Jerry so it shouldn't be a problem."

Casey rolled her eyes, "Fine, but get him situated and lets get you ready!"

Sara took Gus over to his designated crate and helped him in. Gus went in without issue and Sara gave him a treat, praising him for a job well done. She scratched his ears before placing the cover over the crate. Covering the crates of the new arrivals helped them adjust to their surroundings. Jerry would be over later to tend the dogs. He and AJ would tag team.

Sara had started her rescue, Last Hope, shortly after graduation. They currently had five dogs that Sara was working with on evaluating and training before sending them to foster homes where they would await adoption. They had another twelve dogs in foster homes around the state. Gus was the newest addition, bringing the total up to six, eight if you counted Bruno and Ashby.

Sara headed over to the living room, which had been turned into a backstage of sorts. There was a station for makeup and one for hair. A couple of her bridesmaids were just finishing up in their respective chairs.

"Girl," said her friend Shannon, "I'm not a miracle worker you know. We'll have to do simple since we need to be at the venue in 45 minutes."

"I'm good with simple. Let me just go change my shirt so it won't ruin my hair when I change into my dress."

Sara quickly went to their bedroom and pulled out the bra she was going to wear and a button up shirt. Then she went back to the living room, ready for her makeup.

Fifty minutes later they arrived at the venue. Her bridesmaids were all in their dresses already, but Sara was going to change once she got back to the bridal suite.

Her mom, sister, and Christi were waiting for her to help her get dressed. Casey's job was to light a fire under the groomsman and get them all ready.

Sara quickly undressed and her mom held the dress up while Sara climbed into it. Once the corset was laced up, Sara went over to the full-length mirror to look at the final result.

Her dress had a plunging neckline, lace sleeves, and a lacey overlay over the A-line skirt. The train extended a couple feet behind her. It was a simple, yet elegant dress. Sara's hair was in a loosely braided bun with a delicate hair clip pinned to the side. She had opted not to wear a veil.

"You look beautiful honey" Sara's mom gushed.

"Thanks mom"

"Are you nervous?" Christi asked as she handed her the bouquet of lilies and eucalyptus leaves.

"No not really," Sara smiled at Christi, her soon to be sister-in-law.

"Well, if he ever gives you problems, you have my permission to punch him" Christi teased

"Duly noted"

Amber, her sister, barely said a word but hugged her before she and Christi left to go join the others in the wedding party.

Casey gave a knock before entering and she squealed while running over to Sara.

"I knew this was the dress. You look stunning Sara."

"Thanks. Is everything ready?"

Casey nodded.

Sara's mom gave her a final hug before leaving. Sara took one last look in the mirror and took a deep breath. Calming down any nerves that were trying to weasel their way up.

It had been a long eleven months. She had made a quicker emotional recovery this time around and she owed it all to Kai and her support system. She didn't have one this strong last time and having her friends support her every step of the way, had made this moment possible.

Sara's healing wasn't as simple as learning to love herself. It meant going back to the places she stopped loving herself and remembering why. Then Sara had to hold that part of her close and rescue herself from old pain. The remembering is what makes it hard. The holding is what makes her brave.

Her father waited for her by the doors into the room. Bruno and Ashby sat by his side. The dogs were the ring bearers. Each had a bowtie on, and a little pouch attached to their collars that held the rings. Sara was glad that this venue allowed dogs, that was their main condition in venues.

Bruno and Ashby trotted down the aisle, eager to get to Christi and Kai. Ashby to Christi and Bruno to Kai. Sara's dad held out his arm and then they started to walk down the aisle.

Sara kept her gaze on Kai as she walked down the aisle. He had the biggest grin on his face, and she saw a few tears escape down his cheek.

Her father handed her off with a kiss on the cheek.

The officiator said a few words then had each of them read their vows. With her hand in Kai's, he spoke.

"Sara, for the first time I have found what I can truly love. You. I'll be there through thick and thin. When your mind's a mess and your head is spinning. I'll be there. When you're on cloud nine and dancing with joy. I'll be there.

"Your kindness and compassion surprised me. It's what made me fall in love with you, over and over. You are strong and brave, even when you think you aren't. You are my love and I'm so glad I get to spend the rest of my life with you."

The officiator nodded at Sara.

"Kai, when we met last year, I thought you were the most arrogant person alive. Bar none" a chuckle went out through the crowd. "Then you showed me what it meant to love. Before you, I never truly believed in the one. In you I found a partner, a lover, a friend, a safe place, and someone I can be my ugliest and most vulnerable with. Thank you for never making me feel like I'm too much to handle. I love you, flaws and all."

The officiator said the final few words, and the next thing Sara knew, Kai was kissing her and dipping her towards the floor. She was over the moon happy.

It had been a long road to get to this point, and Sara wouldn't change any of it.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

This book is dedicated to my dog who passed away very unexpectedly from a short illness halfway through writing this book. She went through so much in her life and overcame them with hard work. She was my rock and will be dearly missed.