Decisions And Last Memories

It certainly wasn't an easy decision to make. Leaving a life behind for whatever reason would be difficult. Escaping something is much easier than forgetting, even then escape can be near impossible at times. But for you the chance of a new life, an idea which Madeleine herself even encouraged, was an opportunity for things to be better for you. But it wasn't a decision you made lightly.

You spent a few days pondering over it, contemplating what the best course of action would be. Ultimately, you decided that the only way for your life to properly move forward was to move away. So you told Madeleine that you had to move away and she supported you through it. She truly was the best person in your life, without her you may still be known as the violent thug which you were wrongly labelled. Without Madeleine, maybe things wouldn't have ended in such a way for you, she found you there on the kitchen floor, had she not arrived when she did...well, a single moment can define a person's future.

So you got all your affairs in order. You had the means of moving away, you had the money; damages and compensation from the defamation of your name. The funds couldn't have come at a more convenient time as you had found a nice place to make your home in a quieter, almost sleepy area, nobody would know you. It would be a fresh start.

But Madeleine...

She supported your decision, she said she would always love you and that whenever you felt alone that you could get into contact with her. But you couldn't just part with a word, so an idea came to mind and you made a call to her the day before you left.

"You want to meet up there? Why?" She asked over the phone but you answered cryptically by saying it was important. One last memory before parting ways for the foreseeable future, even though you would keep in contact. And so, after the call ended, you got yourself ready and headed out to the destination which you asked Madeleine to meet you.

It wasn't an obscure request really, many people meet up at the mall after all.

When you arrived at the mall, Madeleine was already there awaiting your arrival. A smile turned up on her lips as she saw you and pecked your cheek as you approached; that was something you still hadn't gotten used to even after being in a romantic relationship for a while now. A simple gesture of affection and you go red in the face, it wasn't like you received much affection of any kind in the past.

"So what did you want to meet here for?" Madeleine asked and you rubbed the back of your neck before extending your hand to her. "I just wanted to do something before tomorrow, a good memory to leave on you know?" You said and she nodded before you led the way, Madeleine just behind as her hand was clasped with yours. She was confused at first but quickly realised just why you asked to meet her at the mall, she should have realised from the start really as you led the way to a familiar area.

That giant floor piano gave away your intentions.

"I may still have the walking stick for my balance but...I just wanted this before tomorrow" you said before stepping onto one of the keys, its tone ringing out as Madeleine smiled. "I believe you know the song, we were in sync last time" you said as you took steps between the keys, Madeleine joining you as you both hopped between the keys. Or at least you stumbled a bit.

Yes it was a little laborious for you but you made it through, taking Madeleine's hand as she hopped around you to swap places. You were both laughing and enjoying yourself, relishing in this simple pleasure between you. There was nobody else but you. Well in the literal sense there were other people but to you there was nobody else but you and Madeleine.

Eventually though, the song came to its end and so did your moment together, your last happy memory is this town that you are leaving the next day.

As the song ends, the sound of applause from shoppers were heard, none of them seeming to recognise your face at the moment. Not that it would matter really. Your attention was on Madeleine though as she had a bright smile on her face, one that was intoxicating as you couldn't help but mirror it as you laughed a little out of breath.

"Took more out of me than expected" you huffed before regaining your balance with your walking stick. "It was fun though, I'm glad you called me here" Madeleine replied and you nodded before suggesting a walk around town, an offer which she accepted. So the two of you left the mall, chatting along the way as you walked down the streets.

The two of you kept walking before you looked at Madeleine. "You'll be there to see me off, right?" You asked and she looked at you with an incredulous expression as she replied; "of course, I wouldn't miss it for the world". You smiled at that before admitting it was a dumb question as you rubbed the back of your neck, something which Madeleine giggled at. "This is the real you, you're not a violent thug but a gentle goofball at heart, you only get violent to protect those you care for, that's the you I know and love".

You again rubbed the back of your neck before checking the time. "Well, I better get home, make sure I have everything set" you said and Madeleine nodded, saying she had something to do too. So you parted with a kiss, Madeleine promising to see you the next day.