01

"Her name, unknown to most, but soon known to all,"

Grace sat in her family's drawing room, her hands fiddling with the lace of her frock. 

"How is Papa?" The younger girl asked her no one in particular. Both William and Maude looked up from the latest Lady Whistledown scandal sheet, glancing at one another.

William cleared his throat, "He is getting better I believe. However, he wants you to focus on your season. So you mustn't get distracted."

Grace sighed, she had not seen her father in what felt like ages. As soon as he had been declared ill, he had locked himself away in his room. That had been weeks ago.

"Perhaps after this season I shall be able to visit him?"

William froze for a brief second before clearing his throat once more. "Perhaps."

"A Mr. Bridgerton, here for Miss Browning." Their footman announced suddenly. 

Grace stood quickly as Colin entered, followed by Eloise. Grace's mother shot a quick look to William, the two of them making their exit shortly after to allow the friends some privacy.

"Colin! Eloise!" Grace greeted the two siblings, "Oh what a nice surprise. I have been stuck in this dreary room all morning." 

"I can only imagine, Daphne has been the same, I had to escape, it was getting quite sad." Eloise laughed.

"Not one suitor has come to visit?" Colin wondered. 

Grace sighed, taking a seat on the long chaise, she gently pat the seat next to her, offering a seat to either one of the Bridgerton siblings. Eloise quickly made her way over, practically knocking Colin out of the way. "Not a single one," Grace frowned. 

Eloise took Grace's hands in her own, "That is quite alright I'm sure. You are far too talented to be stuck in some loveless marriage. Women like us are meant to nurture our minds. Look at Lady Whistledown! She does not seem to be married and she is an author!" Eloise spoke, a wishfulness tone to her voice.

"Not everyone is opposed to the idea of marriage Eloise. You must let Grace follow her own wishes." Colin berated his sister. Eloise frowned. "Regardless, I do believe any moment now there will be suitors lined up." He offered a smile, one which Grace returned to the older boy.

"Enough about me please," Grace begged the two, "Colin did I happen to see you dancing with that beautiful woman last night?"

Colin's eyes lit up, "Yes! You are not mistaken. Her name is Miss Marina Thompson. I met with her this morning and we had quite a nice discussion."

Grace grinned, "Oh do tell!"

Eloise laughed, "Yes do tell us about this nice 'discussion' you seemed to have. For I must have missed it while Miss Thompson was being serenaded by a different man!"