for you

It's a spectacle when the cake is rolled out. Three tiers of white frosting, golden beads and buttercream roses. The grooms cut it diligently using one knife, which seems inefficient, but does make for good pictures. 

There's still a miniature mosh pit happening on the dance floor. Minho is teaching a group of kids (and a few adults) how to Vogue. Jisung watches from their table, working through a hefty slice of cake. He can't stop thinking about Minho's hands at his waist, the taste of salt and watermelon on his lips.

Damn him. Damn him for kissing Jisung like the world was ending and then walking away intact.

Jisung turns away, trying to find something else to look at. He notices Soobin across the room talking to a guest. Jisung's conversation with the baker couple surfaces in his mind, though it feels like it happened a thousand years ago. He wants to bombard Soobin with questions about Minho's studio, but to do that, he'd be putting their lie on the line. Information travels fast at weddings.

He looks back at the dance floor. Minho is in a pirouette battle with a little girl in a tutu. Barely a few twirls and he stumbles, dramatically admitting defeat while the girl giggles and jumps around, looking so happy that she might float away.

Jisung's heart swells. It's almost painful. He wants to shove his face in his cake.

Instead he gets up and marches across the room, straight up to Soobin.

"Hi," he says. "I'm Han Jisung."

"Jo Soobin." They shake hands. "I know who you are."

That would have been ominous, but Soobin's voice is neutral, his expression doesn't betray even a hint of emotion. Maybe he's just a practical guy. Fingers crossed.

Jisung feels compelled to preface the conversation with: "The wedding has been beautiful. Love the colour scheme and everything."

"Thank you. I'm glad to see you came."

"Uh, why?"

"Sangkyu was worried it could be awkward for some reason."

"Well. Yeah, I mean, I just came to eat free food."

Luckily Soobin knows he's joking. He puffs through his nose, a laugh. "Resourceful."

Jisung clears his throat. "Yeah, so, I came with Lee Minho — he's the tall child over there?"

Soobin nods. "I know, the realtor. He's a good dancer — you're good too. Sangkyu didn't tell me that about you."

"Right. Yeah. Minho taught me to dance, actually. Because he's my dance teacher. And we're not dating."

Soobin's head cants. "Okay..."

"Look, getting your invitation, it was kind of hell, because it is awkward, I'm very awkward, and I joked that I couldn't come to the wedding unless I found a successful boyfriend first, and Minho offered to pretend to be my boyfriend so I wouldn't be the sad, lonely, humiliated ex." Jisung takes a deep breath. "To sum it up."

"I... see. And you're telling me this, why?"

"I heard you own the mall by the river — right?"

"I do."

"Minho used to have a dance studio there. The landlord before you raised the rent and Minho couldn't afford to keep the space. He misses it and I... I just want to help him out. So, tell me about your property. Do you have any vacancies? What's the rent?"

Soobin blinks a few times and says "You told me all that... to ask me about real estate?"

Jisung scratches the back of his head. "Yeah. I guess I should apologize too. I'm happy for you and Sangkyu, seriously. And sorry for asking you about work on your wedding day. And for drinking so many cocktails. They were really good. Sorry."