Chapter Eleven

But when Myrtle called Miles at 7:30, he'd clearly been up for quite some time. Perhaps the specter of appearing uncouth had been hanging over him. At any rate, he seemed in tip-top shape when he picked Myrtle up to head to Rowan's office a bit later.

Rowan had a cute brick office in downtown Bradley that had once been a house. It looked more like it was a flower shop than a catering office because Rowan apparently had quite the green thumb, himself. Everything was just right in his garden in front and the lawn was springy and green.

Myrtle rang the bell and Rowan answered the door with alacrity. "Miss Myrtle! As I live and breathe! What a pleasure to see you today. And you've even brought a friend with you." He reached out his hand.

"Miles Bradford," said Miles with a polite smile.

Rowan took Miles's hand in both of his. "Any friend of Miss Myrtle's is a friend of mine. Goodness! Miss Myrtle taught me English and it seems like just yesterday."

"Unfortunately, it wasn't just yesterday," said Myrtle dryly. "At this point, I've been retired for more years than I taught."

"We'll just pretend that isn't true. Come in, come in! Let's get you all situated inside. What a treat!"

Rowan hustled them into a brightly-painted room filled with antique wooden furniture and needlepoint pillows.

"Now, what will it be? The one or the other?" asked Rowan.

Miles gave Myrtle a baffled look.

"What are the choices?" asked Myrtle as if she completely understood what Rowan was talking about.

"Bloody Marys or mimosas. Oh, actually, let me choose for you. I make the best Bloody Marys. The best!"

Miles looked faintly scandalized. "But it isn't even lunch yet."

Rowan waved his hand dismissively. "This is breakfast in a glass. I use real tomato juice with tomato bits in there. And there's celery and a lemon wedge. It's absolutely scrumptious."

Miles gave Myrtle a panicked glance.

Myrtle clucked at Rowan. "You know I only drink sherry and it's way too early in the day for a sherry. But thank you."

Rowan was crestfallen. Then he sprang up. "At least let me bring you a bite to eat. I have something wonderful in the back that I've been experimenting with for a fancy brunch that's coming up for out-of-town guests for an upcoming wedding. You'll love these!"

He dashed to the back of the house and Miles murmured to Myrtle, "If I'd started with a Bloody Mary, I'd have been napping the rest of the day."

"Rowan simply lives a livelier life than we do, that's all," said Myrtle briskly.

Rowan swept back into the room a moment later with a platter full of little round foods. "So here we have Mediterranean frittata muffins with lots of yummy veggies in them. And here we have squash and parmesan mini quiches. They will both just melt in your mouth."

He lay down a few napkins with Rowan Blaine Catering embossed on them and beamed at Myrtle and Miles. "You don't know how happy it makes me to see you both today." He put his hands over his mouth. "Oh goodness. Is this an especially special occasion we're planning? Perhaps I should have offered to bring out the champagne."

Miles turned a ruddy color and Myrtle snorted. "If you're talking about a wedding, then no. Miles is my friend. We're also both in garden club and are following up for Tippy on the silent auction plan."

Rowan gave them both sympathetic looks. "What a terrible mess that all is. Poor Lillian. The club is going through with the auction, then?"

"At the family's insistence," said Myrtle.