1. Heart brokened.

I forced a bittersweet smile as the man who had been my life and the embodiment of my dreams, my boyfriend of two years, walked down the aisle with my sister, Daisy. The applause from the assembled guests masked the racing of my heart as I watched them take this significant step together.

I struggled to conceal the overwhelming mix of emotions surging within me, attempting to hyperventilate quietly so that my distress remained hidden from the prying eyes of the onlookers. But, who was I kidding? It seemed like everyone in that room was acutely aware of David and my shared history that had spanned years.

As David made his way down the aisle, his gaze locked with mine, and the depth of regret in his eyes was unmistakable. He held my stepsister's hand, and the connection between them was a painful reminder of the choices he had made.

I felt a subtle nudge from my mother, who was giving me a sidelong, disapproving glance while maintaining a polite smile to showcase her apparent delight that her daughter was now married.

"Put a smile on your damn face, for heaven's sake, and don't make a scene in front of everyone," she cautioned me, her voice laced with frustration. Without a word of protest, I complied.

Still, it was evident that those in attendance were well aware of my history with David, our two-year relationship making the situation all the more awkward. How could it not be embarrassing, with our shared past so notable in the room?

As the ceremony unfolded, I couldn't help but overhear my stepfather's discreet whisper to my mother, their voices laden with disappointment.

"I told you we should've seated her in the back or just left her at home," he murmured.

My mother's response was equally disheartening, confirming the painful truth I had come to accept. "I'm beginning to think you were right," she admitted. "She's nothing like our precious Daisy. Just a brat that needs to be put in her place."

The hurtful words stung as they were spoken, and yet it had become a distressing norm in my life – to hear my own mother speak negatively about me right in front of my face.

The most agonizing aspect of it all was that my own mother had practically coerced David into marrying my sister, while Daisy seemed more than willing to embrace the idea. Our family had always struggled financially, but David's family had a bit more to offer.

He had once made a heartfelt promise to me that he would be my ticket out of the suffocating grip of my challenging family. However, my sister seemed to have caught wind of my aspirations and, with calculated charm, managed to steal him away.

It appeared that Daisy might have overheard my plans and decided to insert herself between my dreams and me. Now, I found myself facing the harsh reality of the situation, a bitter taste of regret lingering on my tongue.

Just a month ago, Daisy arrived home with an earth-shattering revelation – she was pregnant, and she boldly claimed that the baby's father was none other than David.

She insisted they had been in love and had slept together. The shockwaves intensified when David, with the weight of his family's expectations on his shoulders, proposed to Daisy, ready to take responsibility for his actions.

I was left in a state of turmoil, torn between my instincts and the unsettling realization that my sister and mother had plotted something sinister.

I attempted to explain my suspicions to David, hoping he'd see through the charade. After all, we had spent two years together, and you'd think he would know me well enough to discern that my family was up to no good.

Every day, I'd pour my heart out to David, lamenting about the treacherous nature of my family and the sinister plot they'd hatched.

Despite my passionate pleas, he seemed to turn a deaf ear to my desperate requests and went ahead with his decision to marry my scheming half-sister. I even begged him to elope with me, to run away from this chaos, but he adamantly refused.