2. Bittersweet

Damien's POV

I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive you.

Her voice rang in my ears as I sent another blow towards Eric's face. He was quick to dodge it, just like he missed the last one.

"You need to work on your speed, my friend. You used to be as fast as a lightening," he reminded me. We were both practicing in the training grounds, sweat covered my body as the summer heat pierced through my skin. My muscles ached from the intensive training session, but I kept pushing them to the limit. This pain was only temporary.

I'll just pretend this was all a nightmare and start a new life, a life where you won't exist, Damien.

I shook my head as an attempt to clear it, focusing only on my target. I lunged at Eric again, but he was able to stop me, "Damien, you might as well announce where you are going to attack, you're giving it away too easily. Try to be a little less predictable, at least?"

I groaned at his remarks, friend or not, how dare he talk to his king like that?

Please don't leave me. I can't live without you.

Recalling how pathetic I once used to be, it's no surprise that I wasn't well respected anymore.

"I'm done for today," I turned to walk away, but Eric caught a hold of my arm.

"Are you still thinking about her?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, "thinking about who?"

"Look, I haven't brought it to your attention, but you have clearly been distracted lately. You were perfectly fine after she left as you returned to your normal life. But I've been noticing you acting strange for the past few weeks now, you barely talk to anyone. Even when you do it is strictly business or subjects related, you grow tired the moment you step into the training grounds. Your strategies have gone downhill, it is as if you have already accepted your defeat. What is wrong with you?" He stared at me in confusion, waiting for a reply.

What is wrong is that I couldn't pretend anymore. I couldn't pretend that her absence did not have a single effect on me and carry on being kingly. I thought it would get easier if I just buried myself under work and attended to my duties as a ruler instead of focusing on my personal life. I wish I could pretend to go on like that, but my feelings were soon catching up to me. The more I tried to get her out of my head, the longer she stayed there for.

"Nothing is wrong with me, I've just had a tiring day," I lied.

There was only one person I became vulnerable for, and that did not end well. It made me not want to share my thoughts or feelings with anyone now.

"Okay," he sighed in defeat. He knew better than to push me and only make me angry.

"But just know this, your sister and I are both worried about you," he patted my shoulder, "take a few days off if you need, I can speak to the council and tell them you're not feeling well."

"That won't be necessary," I assured him, "my people need me more than I need to rest. You should be the one taking a break, you have a wedding to plan which is only a week away."

He shook his head, "no way. I would much rather take upon your duties along with mine than help select which color of backdrop curtains I want for the wedding. I strictly told Emma that is her department, and she was just excited to know she gets to pick everything."

I found a small smile making its way on my face. I wouldn't say I was surprised when Emma and Eric both confessed their feelings to each other and then told me about the proposal. They were expecting the worst type of reaction from me by the looks of it, but I was delighted to know that he was her mate. I had known Eric for such a long time that it seemed as though we were practically brothers, if there was one person I could trust my sister with, it was him. Although it was only proper for a princess to marry into another royal family; to me, her happiness came before all else. The announcement did start rumors to spread among the subjects, but they soon died down in fear of upsetting their king after learning about my approval. My word was above any law. Despite my physical weakness, I still had the same power over not just my kingdom, but the whole Vampire World.

I would like to believe the prophecy was proved wrong; that human girl did not bring me to my destruction. But why did my victory feel so bittersweet?

**********************************************************************************************

Surprise!!

I couldn't just leave you with one chapter, now could I? I know it is rather slow at first, just like any beginning of a story. But I assure you the best is yet to come ;)

-J.S.