His Weakness

The council chamber doors exhaled as they slid open to accept him, and Obi-Wan stepped into the sunlit chambers. Great shafts of light spilled inwards, glancing off his master's silver-streaked hair. Qui-Gon stood in the centre of the circle of Jedi, hands interlaced in front of him, but it was the sight of Chancellor Velorum, on a seat to the far left of the circle, that caught Obi-Wan's attention.

He strode to his master's side, bowing at the waist to the Jedi that watched him, and turning to sketch a bow to Chancellor Velorum. He scanned the room, paying attention to the many Force signatures, to the little flickers and snags in the constant vibration of the Force. A Force that was especially strong today and in this room; almost every seat in the circle was full. The whole Council had been summoned.

Mace Windu shifted in his seat, his careful face betraying nothing. "As you are aware," he began, speaking directly to Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, "we have received intelligence informing us that the Trade Federation has blockaded Naboo." He swept dark eyes across the entire gathering, letting them pause only briefly upon the Chancellor. "We suspect, however, that some other force is behind this, some force that stands to gain much from a divided Republic and a distracted Senate."

Flyra had said as much. And Ben's words had hinted at the very same thing. Obi-Wan schooled his face into grave contemplation, resisting the urge to read Qui-Gon's countenance. But Windu inclined his head to Velorum, who got to his feet in a rustle of thick fabrics.

Turning to face the Chancellor, Obi-Wan couldn't help but observe the greyness of his hair on a face that couldn't be older than forty.

"My own suspicions align with those of the Council," he said, and he was surprisingly soft-spoken; a voice entwined with years of debates and politics. "There is disruption in the Senate — has been for a while, too long. The situation has only... widened these disputes."

He sounded tired — exhausted, actually, and riddled with doubts. Obi-Wan could feel them rippling from him, a rumour of uncertainty.

He stared at Master Yoda when he next spoke, as though pleading his case. "I don't know who is behind this," he said, "but it is essential we find out."

Master Windu nodded. "The Chancellor has requested we send his representatives to Naboo, in order to settle this conflict with peaceful negotiations," he said, and Obi-Wan straightened. Beside him, Qui-Gon remained still and unmoved. "The Council have decided on the two of you as the best representatives for the Senate and the Jedi."

Obi-Wan knew he and Qui-Gon were valuable Jedi — knew that his master could easily have been on the Council, if only he paid more attention to the Code. Even so, he couldn't help his gratitude as he bowed his head to Master Windu.

"We appreciate your trust in us," Qui-Gon said, allowing himself a hint of a smile. "I know my Padawan and I will not disappoint."

"We're counting on it," Windu said, but Obi-Wan felt, rather than saw, Master Yoda shift forward in his seat.

"Decided, the Council has," he began, "that the Trials, your Padawan is ready to take."

Obi-Wan's heart skipped a beat, and he glanced at Qui-Gon in surprise. He saw his master raise his brows, saw a slight frown form on his forehead.

"You wish him to complete the Trials before setting off for Naboo?" he asked, a trace of doubt in his voice.

Obi-Wan knew there was more he had to learn; more about the living Force, more about the true nature of being a Jedi. But if the Council thought he was ready, it was not Qui-Gon's place to argue with them.

"A Jedi Knight, he will be," Yoda confirmed. "More wise, the Trials will prove him, and better for Naboo it will be."

Obi-Wan kept silent, sensing the command from his master without even a look from Qui-Gon.