Matthias

*~*~*Matthias*~*~*

Holding Ruby's hand felt good, natural, and exhilarating. I wanted to rub my thumb across the top of her hands, but didn't want to seem presumptuous. We made it back to her apartment in no time and she suddenly let go of me to fish her keys out of her purse. I missed the touch of her skin on mine and it left me with a longing I'd not felt in over a century.

As the lock jingled with the key, I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. I peered down the hall, but nothing was there. I even walked over to the large plate glass window and peeked outside to observe the students walking past as if nothing was out of the normal. The sun sank over the trees and past the mountainside. The evening was morphing into night, cooling down rapidly. Night was when the nightmares come out, and most mortals didn't even have a clue they existed.

I did. I could feel their magic swirling in the air outside the glass as I pressed my hand against the cool surface. I closed my eyes and hoped it wasn't yet time to fight again...to run. Not yet. It was too soon.

My eyes flung open and I pressed my lips together. No. I won't run anymore. I couldn't. Not now that I knew Ruby existed in this treacherous world. Leaving without knowing her would be like ripping my heart to tiny, bitter strips of nothing. My life was empty. I'd let it become this way and hadn't bothered to do anything worthy in so many years.

It was time to do something about that.

"Matthias?" Ruby's voice broke into my thoughts and I pulled away from the window.

"Yes?"

Whatever was out there wasn't attacking yet. Maybe it had no idea I was here. Either way, the time would come to face it, sooner or later.

I took a deep breath and put on a smile for her. This reassured her enough and it was worth it to see her face light up. Made my entire day.

"You're perfect."

Did I just say that out loud?

She laughed and reached out to take my hand, beckoning me to follow. We went into her apartment and locked the door behind us.

"Do your scars hurt?" She plopped onto her bed and rolled onto her stomach, leaning on her hands.

I shook my head. "No. They're healed now. It's been over a century."

"Oh," Her eyes roamed freely as I waited. I feel awkward, out of place standing here even as she examined me more thoroughly. "You can take off your hoodie, you know. How can you not be dying of heat right now?" She flushed as she realized what she said. "Or not...whatever you want."

I let out a breath and unzipped the hoodie, slipping it off and tossing it on the nearby chair. I sat on it and leaned on my legs. I had a tank top underneath, but wished I'd worn a full shirt. I usually never took off my jacket when I was around others. Still, I tried to look comfortable when all I really wanted to do was head out and shut myself in my own studio apartment.

Her continued examination of my visible scars made me fidget and I looked away. My arms were built, I'd always been in the best of shape. I never knew when I'd need the strength to fight in this crazy world. The thought of the dangers lurking outside made me flick my eyes to her window where a slow, calm breeze lifted the sheer inner curtains. She had black out ones on there too, but the light from the evening poured in. Or what was left of it. It was getting dark in there fast and I wondered if she even noticed with that dreamy look on her face.

"Are they everywhere?" She asked. I briefly wondered if she meant the Others, but realized she was talking about my scars. My fingers dug into my knees as I waited for the inevitable. "Can I see them?" She sat up and dangled her legs over the edge of her bed. "I mean, if that's okay. You don't have to strip or anything." She motioned with her hands for me to lift my shirt. "Just your chest."