Chapter 13: Playing with Fire

Natasha's POV

The loud sound of things breaking woke me up from my deep slumber.

I automatically sat down in my bed making myself alert in case something terrible is happening or about to happen.

"I should be used to unusual things happening," I whispered to myself.

"I'm living with a vampire after all," I added as I shook my head.

A loud bang suddenly filled the silent night.

Shit.

What is happening?

I quickly stood up and went to the door.

The noise is coming downstairs and I have to find out what's causing it.

I slowly opened the door and carefully went out of my room.

I have to be very careful because danger might be just lurking around. And when I say danger, I meant Valerian Fenrir, the devil himself.

I felt shivers the moment my foot hit the coldness of the stairs but I tried to ignore it and carefully went down.

The light coming from the half moon is cursing through the windows but it's not enough because it's still so dark downstairs and I can barely see anything clearly.

Curse the switch of the light being downstairs and upstairs and I'm already in the middle.

"Shit," I cursed under my breath when I heard something break again.

I stopped on my track. I held the staircase tightly afraid that I might fall because I think I'm in the middle of the big and long stairs already

I think it's a vase.

Fuck, every vase here in Valerian's house looks like they cost a fortune and I could feel the pain by just imagining them break.

It hurts.

But, expensive vases are the least of my concerns. If there's something like this that's happening right now-- I could be in danger and it might not be the vases that will only break if ever.

Where is Valerian?

It seems like someone is breaking inside his house and I have no idea if he's aware.

He can hear things even from far away so I hope he hears what's happening right now in his house.

I alerted myself as I continued walking down the stairs carefully.

My ears and eyes are alert. I am also ready to fight in case something or someone will attack me.

Before my foot could reach the last step of the stairs, I bumped into a hard thing that I think is someone's chest. A man's chest.

Fuck.

I was so ready to throw hands but he was quick to grab me and enveloped me in his embrace.

I couldn't move.

What the fuck.

His smell lingered in my nose as I was enclosed in his arms.

I drew a breath when I realized that it's Valerian.

My nose and memory already memorized the smell of Valerian because as much as I hate to say it-- his natural scent gives me comfort in some way. He smells so good and I don't know why but I love smelling him even though I don't like it when he's near me because he makes me nervous.

I took a sniff of him and that's when I noticed that he smells like something else.

Alcohol.

I removed his hands from me and I was thankful that he was not holding me tightly because I was able to remove them with ease.