38

There were only three demons who could enter the lavender garden unauthorized, it was Freya herself, her father, and finally Caiden, her lover.

She threw the cigarette down and quickly wiped away her tears, "Oh dear, why are you here?"

She spitted out a string of profanities in her heart, why won't the tears stop?!

Her wrist was grasped gently as her eyes flicked up, the man was already in front of her.

"Honey, it's not good to rub your eyes like that." He leaned down, their faces inching closer to one another.

Caiden kissed her tears away softly, his other hand looped around her waist. Freya's face reddened but she let him do as he pleased.

"What's wrong?" He pressed their foreheads together, "Can you tell me? ...Please?"

Her eyes widened, hesitating before turning away, "...I can't."

The words this morning weren't meant for only Arche, it was also meant for Caiden. He knew of this, but how could he do nothing when his lover is showing such a pitiful side?

Freya has never cried before. At least, not in front of him. But he knew for sure, that she won't shed tears for trivial matters.

He had always respected her privacy. Not asking more when she shows signs of being cornered or troubled.

But this time, even if she finds him nosy...he won't back away.

His fox ears drooped, "You really can't?"

Freya's gaze landed on the folded ears, she felt like something was scratching her heart. She guiltily averted her gaze, "...Don't use this trick on me."

Caiden leaned down and planted a kiss on her forehead, "Still not telling me?"

Freya stayed silent. He looked at her for a few seconds before leaning down again. From her forehead to her eyelids, her cheeks, her nose, her lips, he planted butterfly kisses on her beautiful features.

Freya's rosy lips twitched, "...you're getting more and more shameless. I miss the old you who gets shy with one touch."

"I learned from the best." He chuckled. His gaze turned serious the next second, "I have a hunch, are you going to sacrifice yourself?"

Freya froze before returning to normal. But, it was too late. Caiden was observing every slightest movement of hers, naturally, this did not escape his eyes.

The kisses weren't to coax the answer out of her, it was to make her let her guard down and attack when the time was right. Even with Freya's incredible acting skills, she won't have enough time to react.

The grip on her wrist and the arm around her waist tightened. Caiden's expression went cold.

She clicked her tongue, "Sly fox."

"You can't," His tone made no room for arguments, but Freya could make out his uneasiness.

Freya glanced at him, opening her mouth but not saying anything...more accurately, she didn't know what to say.

Caiden rested his head on her shoulder, "Don't leave me alone."

"I can't do that." Freya kissed the top of his head, "The demon realm will be destroyed."

Caiden lifted his head, "Then we can just go to another realm, just bring those dear to you...we can-"

"No. I can't. I told you before, I'm not like you guys. I'll cease to exist if the demon realm faces destruction"