Chapter 16

Frank's POV

"You know you don't have to stay here with me, I'm allowed to go whenever," I whispered to Gerard, though he looked over and shook his head, still staying stubbornly in place. "It's just a scratch," I told him, sighing and looking at the clock on the wall, seeing that it was almost lunchtime. I sighed as I sat up, looking at my bloody flip flop, groaning a little as I looked at Gerard. "Hey, it's almost lunchtime," He whispered, looking at my shoe and shaking his head.

"You need to stay off your ankle for at least a few hours," Gerard told me, looking around the room. I shook my head, sitting up and swinging my leg over the edge of the bed and staring at Gerard. "I can walk," I whispered, hoisting myself up and standing beside the bed. I smiled in triumph, but he was still smiling as well. Very cocky, might I add. "See?" I said, seeing him stand and walk over to me. "Then walk," He whispered, still smiling as he moved to allow me to walk. Dammit. I really didn't trust my ankle, but I was stubborn.

I sighed and felt the sticky blood on the base of my sandals, cringing inside and trying to take a step. I lost balance as a sharp pain went through my ankle, the bandages pressing against the wound. I fell against Gerard, groaning as my head hit his chest. "Fuck you," I whispered, standing on my leg that was not injured.

"Whatever you want, but lunch is starting soon, Frank... Get on my back," Gerard told me, turning around slowly so I didn't fall over. I wrapped my arms around his neck, hopping up enough so he could grab my legs, hearing and feeling my stomach growl against Gerard's back. "And you weren't worried about lunch?" He asked after a while, walking over to the sink and then sticking my foot under the water to wash off the rest of the blood. "I never said that," I mumbled, not arguing, but I don't believe I said I wasn't hungry.

"There," Gerard mumbled, drying my foot before he started to walk towards the doors to the infirmary. "Thank you," I sighed out of relief, moving my foot a little and feeling that it wasn't sticky anymore, and my ankle was relaxed. I pushed myself up against Gerard, putting my head against his shoulder as he got us to the mess hall. He set me down at our usual table, being cautious with my ankle like he had been this whole time. "I'll grab your lunch," He told me, though I couldn't protest because he did know what I usually ordered.

After getting my lunch, Gerard went back to get his food. I waited for him to get back to the table, seeing as I figured out he never likes to eat alone. Being friends with him for over a month, I noticed that he never ate unless I did. I guess it made him comfortable, which I found to be the only way to get him to eat. I was thinking, just seeing him every day was enough to make me smile, but we only had a couple of weeks left of camp. I shook it off or tried to anyway. Gerard had been sad when we had a month left, and now I really understood how he felt.

"Hey, the lady let me have two pastries because she said I was polite and kind for helping you out even though she could supposedly see I was panicking... Do you want it?" Gerard asked, sitting down across from me before gesturing to the little pastry on his tray as he looked at me. I shook my head smiling as I situated myself. "No, no, you deserve it," I told him, seeing him slowly nod as he grabbed his drink and took a sip.

"We only have a couple of weeks left," I whispered solemnly, looking away and frowning as it started to really sink in. Gerard almost choked on his drink, coughing a little bit and nodding. I looked back, seeing him trying to clean up his area with a few napkins. "I kind of enjoyed seeing you every day," I whispered, wishing I could take it back the minute I said it; there was a possibility that he didn't feel the same. And besides, I don't know what I crush feels like, but I'm sure that's what I had been feeling for about a week at this point.

"It has been great seeing you every morning..." Gerard mumbled, which gave me more relief than I'd like to admit. "Do you think we live far from each other? Like, we both live in Bellville, we can't be that far," He proposed, tilting his head in thought as he messed with his fork. Oh, right. I took a bite of the crisp salad, nodding as I thought a bit, seeing Gerard eat a little bite of his chicken. "Would you be comfortable saying where you live?" I asked, looking at him with my head tilted as my fork hung between two of my fingers.

"Well, by now, I guess we've already shared a lot. Why not?" Gerard exclaimed, seemingly hopeful as he thought for a minute before saying his address. My eyes widened thinking of where I lived first before I realized how close he lived to me. "What's with the face? Frank? Are you okay? Did you hit your ankle?" Gerard asked with concern filling his tone, practically dripping from each word. I shook my head, letting out a relieved laugh.

"No, not at all, it's just... You live a couple of minutes away," I told him, seeing his eyes widen as he looked at me. His expression changed to excitement as if he was a child in an ice cream shop. "That's amazing! I mean- we can see each other whenever, ya know?" Gerard exclaimed, taking his fork and eating another bite all on his own. I smiled and nodded, still reveling in the fact that I could have a long-term friend. Friend. I blushed, just thinking of what we'd be able to do when we got back home, but I pushed most of the thoughts aside as my stomach contracted from the hunger.

I happily ate, my mind wandering occasionally, then I felt my face grow hot as I remembered Gerard in those tight pants he had on for that weird dance a while back. "Frank, you okay?" Gerard asked, tilting his head a bit in confusion. "Y-yeah, just excited for the day is all," I told him, smiling as I ate another bite of my salad. You have no idea.