𝐢𝐢. ━ ☆ 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖊𝖓𝖉 𝖔𝖋 𝖆𝖓 𝖊𝖗𝖆

CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO. ━━━━
THE END OF AN ERA.
BEFORE THE EVENTS OF THE SHOW.

TESS

. . .

     —— BLACK MILITARY CHOPPERS swarmed the night sky like blow flies above a bloated corpse. The hum of their rotors, the drone of an insect. Below, the earth rumbled; each blast of napalm released from the hovering crows sent a surge of tremors into the ground.

Smoke blackened the sky, sweeping each street with billowing vapours of acrid orange flames from the toxic chemicals. They emerged from the ground like breeding cicadas, swallowing all that came into its path. The burning smell of napalm seeped into the infrastructure. Chunks of concrete buildings were being bitten and spat out by the bombs. Windows of skyscrapers shattered. Smoke and fire rushed out, rendering the buildings into nothing but rubble and ash, collapsing beneath the onslaught of humanity like a house of cards.

Within moments, the streets had turned into a minefield of flaming debris and burning flesh, as the screams of people being shot down or ripped apart by the infected echoed like the cries of the souls trapped in hell. Those that could, fled like ants from a destroyed nest. Those that couldn't, become another casualty of war. But like the housepets left behind, locked away in their kennels, abandoned by their families and forced to fend for themselves —— a life sleeping belly-side up —— the world had changed. The world order had been fucked with.

The once bustling capital of Georgia was being razed to the ground with the flick of a soldier's finger, and they were powerless to make a difference.

Atlanta, Georgia, their home, was gone.

Though far from the chaos themselves, the sound of the bombs hadn't been dampened by the distance. Tess's lungs seized with every explosion, her jaw clenched with each flash of light; each blast jolting the ground beneath her feet. The echoes of explosions were like God's anguished cries. The once familiar skyline now ablaze in a towering inferno.