Chapter 38

Rosetta's POV:

I looked out my window and smiled slightly. We had been in Italy for three months now. I was six months pregnant and it was showing.

Erik had found a job with Giovanni's friend and was the head builder. What was so nice about that was that he could walk around with his head high. He had some pride in himself. He had a job, a wife, and a child.

I walked away from the window in our room and decided on something. I was going out. I had to get out. Erik was trying to keep me from doing anything strenuous. The pampering was driving me insane.

I walked over to the door and pulled off my shawl. It was a little cool at this time of year and Erik would be most displeased if I caught a chill. I opened the door and walked out.

Passing by Giovanni's bedroom, I smiled. Three months ago he had declared he was dying. Somehow, Erik had managed to save him. He was getting better and expected live for many more years. I was grateful. The man was very kind to me and I loved him like I would a father.

I arrived at the door and looked at the butler. He gave me a kind smile and I returned then said,

"Should my husband come home and I am not back, tell him that I went for a very long walk. Also, tell him not to worry." The butler laughed.

"Signora, not even you could convince him not to worry. But, I shall tell him. Enjoy your walk, Signora Destler." I laughed and had to admit he was right. No one could convince Erik not to worry about me. It was the way he was. Sometimes I hated it but most of the time I liked it. It showed how much he loved me.

I hurried outside and into the Italian town. It was beautiful and I wished I understood more Italian. But, for some reason I couldn't learn it. My Italian grew worse by the day. I laid my hand over my stomach and walked down the street.

A wind blew in my face and I sighed contentedly. A few people waved to me and I smiled at them. I had missed getting out so much. As I rounded a corner, I collided with something or someone.

We both stumbled backward and I started to apologize before I even looked at the person. When I did I was shocked. It was a woman of about my age, maybe a little older, who was most assuredly pregnant as well. Her hair was golden but already streaked with a little gray here and there, her eyes were blue but filled with worries and trouble. Her clothing was the most surprising. She was dressed in black from head to toe.

She looked me over and then we both said at the same time,

"You're pregnant too!" The only difference was she said it in French and I said it in the little bit of Italian I knew. She gave me a weird look and I quickly exclaimed in French,

"You speak French!?" She nodded.

"Yes, I don't speak a word of Italian. Not a word." I chuckled.

"I don't speak much of it either. I am at a loss here." She laughed and extended her hand.

"My name is Antoinette Giry. Yours?" I shook her hand firmly and said,

"Rosetta Destler." She looked my stomach and said,

"How far along?" I blushed and laid a hand over my baby.

"Six months. You?" She looked away and it looked like the question pained her. I was about to tell her to forget that I even asked when she said,

"Five months." I laid a hand on her arm and whispered,

"Madam Giry, what is wrong?" She closed her eyes then straightened. "My husband has been dead for two months and I don't know what to do. He died in a building accident." I was about to try to say something consoling when I realized what she had just said.

"Did you say building accident?" She nodded. My eyes went wide. Now that I thought about it that name had sounded familiar. She was the widow of the man who had died a little bit after Erik had taken over the building crew.

He had been devastated when Phillippe Giry had died even though it had been no fault of his own. The former building director hadn't been up to par and one of the walls had fallen down on the poor man.

I grinned at her and said, "I know you. Your husband worked for mine. My husband is Erik Destler." She gasped and just stared at me.

"Y-you..." She trailed off and started to laugh. "This world is so small!" I laughed with her and gave her a hug. Suddenly both babies kicked. We laughed and I said,

"Well, I think our children are willing to be friends. What do you say? Want to come to dinner?" She thought for a moment and said,

"Yes, I believe I shall." We grinned at each other and started to walk back towards my home. I felt an instant connection with this woman and I was grateful for it. My deepest desire was to have a woman as a friend. Ever since I had left England nearly four years ago I hadn't had any female friends.

We soon arrived at my house and I led her onto the patio. I showed her to a seat and sent the maid for some tea. I sat down beside her and smiled.

"I hope I am not keeping you from anything?" She shook her head.

"No, I don't have anything happening today. I was just out for a walk. I live with my sister and she had seven children. I couldn't handle it anymore!" We laughed and I sighed.

"Yes, I could see where that would be hard. With Erik working all day and Giovanni still recovering I find I often spend many of my hours by myself." She chuckled.

"Yes, Phillippe used to work hours on end. I almost never saw him. I know how you feel." She patted my leg and we started to talk about our lives and our pasts.

By the end of the afternoon we had found a bosom friend in the other. Antoinette had to go home because her sister would be worrying but we made a promise to see each other again.

Erik came home and I explained it all. He seemed agreeable to the idea. It seemed he had been wondering where I might find some female company and he was over joyed that I had finally found someone.

I had a feeling that Antoinette and I would become very close. Who knew how much she would actually help me through.