A Letter From You (RSD 3.5 - LGBT)

Love and War

Love and War

(Author's Note - My entry for the RSD 3 - Round 5 "No Romance in War"

I used pictures #2 and #4 for my story of a young man returning to his beloved after fighting on the front line.

Word count - 1370)

Will stood, still and silent, looking out over the lake. Guilt was already starting to gnaw at his stomach, turning his breakfast into acid. His eyes were blank, turned inward, oblivious of the beautiful reflection of trees on the mirror smooth surface. The letter had burned a hole in his pocket for a week, but now it was on its way, by boat or plane, to the Allied front in France. And there was no getting it back.

He'd done the right thing, hadn't he? It had been hard, but surely it was better for Ken to know the truth? Better to be hurt now than to keep on believing in a lie, making the hurt and betrayal even deeper when he found out?

Ken must have his suspicions though, thought Will, trying to reassure himself. After all, Ken knew Will, knew how he needed life and colour around him, knew that he needed friends and admirers like other people needed peace and quiet. And Ken had been gone for a whole year. A whole year of lonely waiting‒waiting for that terrifying knock at the door, wishing fruitlessly that Ken had never signed up in the first place and longing for his return‒yet dreading it as the months dragged on.

Those ghastly images on the News, so grim he was never able to keep watching after the first few minutes. How could anyone remain unscathed by that? He felt sick every time he thought of Ken out there in the mud and rain, dodging bullets, fighting hand to hand in the trenches or foxholes or whatever they were called in this war. Killing people.

Ken had sent him a photo of his squad before they embarked, young men with big smiles and arms around each other's shoulders, all carrying rifles. Will had imagined Ken leading the way, brandishing his rifle as the bombs fell. He wondered now, how many of those young men were still alive.

His thoughts circled back to the letter‒every word engraved on his brain.

"Dear Ken,

There is no easy way to say this so I will just tell you up front. I'm sorry, but I can't deal with the stress of our separation any more. I guess I'm not as strong as I thought I was. I hope we will always be friends but I can't wait for you any longer - I'm setting you free. I'm setting us both free.

I'll be honest, there's someone else. For the first time in ages I feel happy instead of miserable. Don't think too badly of me, I waited as long as I could but I just can't do this anymore.

Be safe,

W."

He thought of Ken opening the letter in some hell-hole. Feeling excited, looking forward to the few words of love which were allowed through the army censors. Then the shock, the disappointment and dismay.

In vain, Will tried to tell himself that Ken might be relieved, that he might be happy to be freed from the ties of Will's love. Perhaps he would find a new lover, one of his comrades, someone who felt the same way about war and duty as he did. Perhaps he already had.

Tears fell unnoticed down his cheeks.

A week later, he received a telegram announcing Ken's return.

(to be continued...)