All Fun and Games Pt 1

Louie Duck flinched as the cave entrance slammed shut behind him. "Well, that's not ominous." He shoved his hands in his pockets, shuffling to join the rest of his family.

Fethry lit a torch, giving the group some light as they trudged through the temple. "Alright, kids. I've got an interview with someone later today, so let's get this done quickly." His attention fixed on the map, moving ahead of the others.

The four kids waddled along behind, Huey in front, followed by Dewey, Webby, and Louie. Their steps bounced off the walls of the tunnel. Louie's eyes scanned over everything, watching for any possible traps that might be laid out. He hadn't been too thrilled over this trip, seeing as it had been on a whim. The rest of his family, however, had eagerly rushed off to find some treasure without researching the details of what they were even looking for.

A shout broke Louie's thoughts. Dewey had walked into a spiderweb and was now running in panic. Louie took after him, catching the back of his shirt as he almost fell into a pit placed inconveniently in the middle of the path.

"Careful, Dew." Louie wiped the web off his brother's face, who gagged in disgust.

Huey came to stand on the edge of the pit, holding his toaster, Bready, close to his chest. "Cool! Death pit!" His voice echoed back, making him laugh.

"And that's why we brought some rope. Nine out of ten, adventures will usually need rope." Fethry handed the torch to Webby before unrolling his spool of rope from his side. Whiping it around, he threw it across a rock hanging from the ceiling. "Huey, you can tie a knot, right?"

"My Junior Woodchuck Badges would say so," Huey said, sticking his beak up confidently.

"I didn't know you had your knot tying badge," Louie said.

"I don't, but Doofus has shown me enough times. I'm sure I can figure it out." Huey took the free end of the rope, bending his knees in anticipation for the jump.

Fethry tightened his grip on the other end of the rope. "Great. Swing across, then tie your side down over there."

Louie stepped forward, stopping his younger brother before he could jump. "Uh, are we sure this is safe?"

Fethry shot him a look. "We're in a dark mysterious cave, and you want to know if swinging across a death pit is safe? Of course it's not."

Huey tried to move past Louie, the toaster tucked under his arm. "Can I jump now?"

"Maybe I should go, just to be sure-"

"I'm gonna jump!" Before Louie could stop him, Huey swung across the pit. Louie tensed with fear for his brother. Huey landed with a flip, bowing after his terrifying performance. Webby cheered for him as he tied down the rope.

"See? That wasn't so bad." Fethry ruffled Louie's feathers, but that didn't help him feel any better.

"Exactly." Huey stomped his foot, the stone beneath sinking.

The floor of the death trap rose at the trigger. Small holes dotted the ground, and after a second click, arrows began launching out. They dug into the ceiling and threatened to cut through anyone who walked across as well.

Dewey frowned at the barrage of arrows. He waved his finger, as if counting.

Webby came to stand next to him. She clapped her hands when she realized what Dewey was doing. "Ooh, it's a pattern!"

Dewey nodded, turning to Fethry. "Step, turn, step, turn, step, turn, dodge, and step."

Fethry made a move to start across the arrows, but Louie stepped in his path. "Wait, we're going to try to cross the arrows?" Louie held his hands out cautiously. "I just think maybe we might die."