S1 Ep. 2 "A Candle in the Darkness"

No comments 

Hope you enjoy.

________________________________________________________________________________

We are in Egypt, near Alexandria. Alex says, "Latin. Ancient Greek. Mom, there is a reason why they are called 'dead languages'. No one uses them any more but you."

I clear my throat. Alex says, "Sorry, Tals."

Alex is sitting at the table while Rick and Eve are standing in front of it. I am on a mat in light meditation. Jade is on my shoulder.

"Alex, as long as you're not enrolled in a proper school, I am your teacher," Eve says.

"Come on, mom. Instead of doing dumb homework. We can be looking for the Scrolls of Thebes. Think of it as extra credit," Alex complains.

"You know that we combed through all of Alexandria. You know every lead is a dead end," Rick explains.

"But Talon isn't enrolled in school, and you're not teaching him."

Rick says, "Talon self studies in place of school, and is tutored by professionals. Besides the fact that Talon is independent and is legally emancipated."

"Knowledge is like-" Eve says reaching for the candle that is on the table, "-a candle in the darkness lighting your way through life. Now please stop this nonsense and finish your homework. Your father and I will be outside packing the artifacts that we found in search if you have any questions that Talon can't answer," Eve says while leaving. She puts a candle down so that Alex could see in the dying sunlight.

Alex sighs and gets to work. I am meditating, Alex is doing his homework, Jade went to hunt.

"Whatcha' doing mate?" asks a voice. I open one of my eyes to find out that the voice is Jonathan.

Alex complains, "Homework. What is the fun of not going to school, when your mom brings school to you."

"Too bad you're busy. I was just going into town and I was hoping you could show me some of the sites I've missed. But if your site's on studying," Jonathan says, trying to goad Alex.

"Well, my homework will be here when I get back," Alex closes his book.

I clear my throat while giving them a look. Alex says, " please, you can come too. You have a motorcycle."

"Fine. I'll come too. Just make sure you two don't do anything stupid," I say rolling my eyes.

Then we drove off to Alexandria. As Jonathan gets off his motorcycle 'gracefully' meaning he falls off face first, Alex says while rubbing the manacle, "I still can't believe what this can do. If I could just figure out how to control its power, Imhotep would be begging for mercy."

"Ah. Till then let's be careful where we point the jewelry, shall we?"Jonathan says cowering.

"Yes, Alex, let's remember that there are children here," I say, mocking Jonathan.

"The O'Connell boy and the Prince on only my first day in town. Hmm. The master will be pleased," Collins says while spying from inside a building.

"It's really a shame that this place is so run down. It's in runes," Jonathan says looking around.

"Uh. Uncle Jonathan, these are runes. This was once the Library of Alexandra. Every book and scroll that entered Egypt was copied for its collection. We checked it out, but no Scrolls of Thebes," Alex explains.

"Never cared for libraries. All of that shushing and that sort of thing," Jonathan says while tilting his hat.

Then the ground shakes.