33

AN: I will preface this chapter by saying that it and probably the next few chapters will have time skips for the duration of Annie and Pluto's games. It definitely won't be as detailed as the event of Aurora's, almost the entirety of part four is establishing important context for the events of Catching Fire and Aurora's involvement in it. 

Love you all 

xx 

... 

The days of training flew by and with Finnick and my own instruction, Pluto seemed to be succeeding. He gained favour with the Career tributes and though it would not be my first move, Finnick had greatly encouraged him. Annie appeared to be doing well in many of the survivalist elements, improving greatly in creating snares identifying edible plants. Secretly, no matter how much I disliked Pluto, his and Annie's combined skills would create a duo to be reckoned with. Annie, however, was insistent on staying as far away from the Career troupe.

"Horace, from Two," She began tentatively, "He's going to hurt him, I just know it," She must have been referring to Pluto, even with the boy's condescension of her, she seemed to like him.

Their private and final training session with the game makers seemed to go well, now all that was left were the final scores. We awaited the judgement in the small living room, Annie and Pluto's stylists stood around with flutes of champagne and were chatting animatedly in anticipation. Sylvia had decided to sit in between the two tributes and was attempted to hold a conversation with the two unwilling participants. Finnick and I sat on a chair in the corner, his head resting on my shoulder and our hands clasped together behind our backs. We could trust most of the people in this room to keep our secret, however, there were a select few on Pluto's prep team that were prone to gossip- even an inkling about our relationship could get either one of us killed.

"It's starting!" Sylvia shrieked, gripping both Pluto and Annie's hands and shuffling to the front of her seat.

The scores so far had been impressive, given that most of them were from Career districts, Horace had performed the best, with a score of Nine. Now it was finally District Four's turn to shine. "Pluto Portello from District Four with a score of..." The announcer began in suspense.

Finnick squeezed my hand.

"Ten!"

Sylvia squealed in delight, tackling the boy into a hug, the room burst into applause, each person congratulating the boy on his efforts. Finnick stood up and embraced him, clapping him on the back with pride, "Congratulations," I smiled stonily at him, moving to sit beside a nervous Annie.

"And now for the female of District Four, Annie Cresta with a score of..." Caesar paused for dramatic effect, "Seven!"

"Annie!" I gushed with pride, throwing my arms around the girl whose mouth hung open in shock, "What did you do in there?"

"I-I shot a crossbow," She said mutedly, "Pluto taught me how when we were training together,"

My eyes snapped over to the other tribute in surprise, "In exchange, she taught me how to make a fishhook, I found that she's a surprisingly fast learner," He explained nonchalantly, gazing at the girl with what looked like, admiration?

"I had a good teacher," She responded with a shy smile. Finnick and I exchanged anxious glances at the new friendship blossoming between the two tributes, which meant it would end in one of two things, heartbreak or betrayal.

"Congratulations," Blaze smiled at an elated Annie, who at the man's words had a tinge of pink developing on her cheeks. She wrapped him into an excited hug, causing the man to spin her around as she lifted her legs up in the air.