CHAPTER 1 - Jambu

I hate the rain.

Glory stalked through the soaking wet rainforest, towing Jambu along behind her. Water dripped off leaves and the ground was covered in wet ferns. The nighttime crickets weren't chirping, instead hiding from the rain somewhere in the darkness.

I really hate the rain.

A raindrop splashed onto Glory's face, and she wiped it off. Another one promptly fell in the exact same place.

I really, really hate the rain.

She looked around, pulling her camouflage cloak more tightly around her. Only her face could be seen now, and strands of her rainbow hair.

"What are we doing again sis?" Jambu asked, poking at a tree branch. He grabbed her invisible arm with his own - or tried to - and dragged her back. She glared at him.

"What?"

"There's a really cool beetle over here."

I don't care, Glory thought, irritated. I only care about getting my tribe a safe place to live. I'm queen. I need to do this. And I don't need Jambu being annoying the entire time I do not.

"Do you see it?" He tugged her backwards, but she yanked out of his grasp.

"I don't really care," Glory said honestly, continuing through the rainforest. She heard the sound of Jambu following her, rustling the leaves and ferns as he swept his cloak through the rainforest. She looked behind her, and caught a glimpse of his face, and fluro pink hair gleaming in the moonlight.

"Are you mad?"

"Why would I be mad?" Glory said, fighting to stay calm. A rush of emotions pulsed through her. Anger. Betrayal. Hurt. Loneliness. Grief. Everything.

"Dunno."

Well that just about sums up the day, Glory thought irritably.

"I miss Kinkajou," Jambu announced. Glory stalked forwards, but her heart began to ache.

"Well, I'm sure she's having fun at Jade Mountain," she said, fighting to sound uninterested. But Jambu kept going on.

"I know that, but don't you miss her being here? Shouting ship and annoying you?"

"Annoying me is pretty right," Glory snapped.

"But don't you wish she was here?" Jambu went on. "I do. I miss her. Kinka was fun."

"She's gone," Glory said shortly. Just like everyone else . . .

"Not gone. Just far, far awayyy . . . " Jambu seemed to notice her irritation, apparently changing the subject. "So. Uh. What are we doing out here again? Is that a chameleon?"

"A chameleon?" Glory turned around curiously, but Jambu was already shaking his head.

"Nah, it was just your cloak moving. Sorry. My bad, sis."

Oh, shush up Jambu, you really are annoying, Glory thought, exasperated.

"In answer to your question," Glory said, taking her sword out of her scabbard and swiping away some branches in the way, "We're searching for a place for our tribe to live."

"What? In a tree? Treehouses? That sounds fun!"

Glory sighed. "Maybe. We might do treehouses. Who knows at this point." We just need somewhere decent to live, not camped out in a dense section of ferns that has no cover.