A Little Magic in McKinley: Chapter 4

Hermione looked around the canteen, her tray of food in her hands. Kurt had said he would meet her for lunch but she couldn't see him anywhere. She scanned the room once more before she heard someone behind her call her name. Hermione turned around to see Kurt sat at a corner table that she must have missed. She hurriedly walked over and put her tray down in the only empty space which was next to a small girl with long brown hair.

"Hi," said the girl as Hermione sat down next to her. "I'm Rachel."

"Hello, I'm Hermione," she replied, smiling at the girl and looking around at the other people sat at the table. Opposite her was Kurt, who smiled at her as she sat down. Kurt was next to a dark haired boy wearing a shirt and bow tie and also at the table were a girl with black hair and bright clothes; an Asian girl and boy; a blond boy with quite a large mouth; a pretty blonde girl; a boy with dreadlocks; a boy in a wheelchair; Finn; Rachel and, Hermione was surprised to see, Puck.

"Everyone, this is Hermione. Hermione, this is Blaine, Mercedes, Tina, Mike, Sam, Quinn, Joe, Artie, you already know Finn, Rachel and Puck," Kurt introduced.

"Hello everyone," Hermione said with a smile. "Oh, and I already met Puck, too."

"Yeah, we met earlier," Puck said, not paying much interest to the conversation.

"I'm sure he gave you a wonderful welcome," Mercedes said sarcastically.

"He showed me to my history class," Hermione replied.

"Well at least he was being helpful for once," Quinn said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Puck demanded.

"Just that you're not always the most polite person," Quinn shrugged.

"Yeah, I suppose that's true," said Puck, returning to his food.

"So, Hermione," said Rachel. "Kurt says you're going to try out for glee club."

"Yeah I am," Hermione said, going slightly pink. "Are you in glee?"

"Yes, all of us are," Rachel said as if it was obvious. Hermione was quite shocked at this statement, mainly because Puck didn't come across as the singing and dancing type, but she was polite enough not to say anything.

"Yes, you're trying out today, aren't you?" Kurt said to Hermione.

"Erm, yeah. First thing after lunch, is that right?" Hermione checked.

"Yeah," Blaine replied. "I can't wait to see what you have prepared!"

"Oh you will love it," Kurt said. "I've been helping her with it all weekend. Oh, that reminds me! Puckerman, can Hermione borrow your guitar for her audition?"

Puck looked up at his name. "Sure," he replied. "You play guitar?"

"Yeah..." Hermione replied, blushing even harder.

"Awesome," Puck said, looking at Hermione. Hermione looked away awkwardly and started to eat her lunch as she listened to the others talk aimlessly about glee stuff. A bell rang and everyone got up to leave.

"Come on, Hermione," Kurt said. "Glee time!"

~~~~~~~

By the time Hermione, Kurt and Blaine had reached the choir room, everyone from the lunch table and a few other people that Hermione hadn't met were already sat in the chairs.

"I can't do this," Hermione said before turning and trying to walk away.

"Yes you can," Kurt said, grabbing her arm to stop her from leaving and pulling her into the choir room. "Mr Shue," Kurt said upon entering the room, "This is my cousin Hermione. She staying with my family for a while and she wants to try out for glee club."

Kurt and Blaine went to sit down with the rest of the club and Hermione was left standing awkwardly.

"Well, take it away, Hermione," Mr Shue said before joining the students on the seats.

"Thanks," Hermione said, nervously. "Erm, Puck? Can I borrow your guitar?"

"Yeah," Puck said, getting up and picking up a beautiful guitar before handing it to Hermione.

"Thanks," she said, looping the strap over her back. She turned to face the rest if the club and breathed out, slowly. "Hello, I'm Hermione Granger and I'm going to sing Yesterday by the Beatles," she said. Hermione started strumming out the chords and opened her mouth to sing:

"Yesterday,

All my troubles seemed so far away,

Now it looks as though they're here to stay,

Oh I believe in yesterday.

Suddenly,

I'm not half the girl I used to be,

There's a shadow hanging over me,

Oh yesterday came suddenly.

Why he had to go I don't know he wouldn't say,

I said something wrong now I long for yesterday.

Yesterday,

Love was such an easy game to play,

Now I need a place to hide away,

Oh I believe in yesterday."

Hermione finished singing and strummed the last few chords on Puck's guitar before looking to her audience. There was a moments silence, long enough for Hermione to fear the worst, before the room broke out into applause. Hermione's eyes met Kurt's who smiled at her and nodded encouragingly.

"Welcome to glee, Hermione," Mr Shue said. Hermione laughed lightly and handed the guitar back to Puck. "Thank you," she said before sitting down in the only available space which was next to Sam.

"You killed that song," Sam said to her.

"Thanks," Hermione said, blushing.

"You're welcome," Sam smiled.

Nobody saw Puck staring at the two of them from the back row