The Virus (A story about a Zombie apocalypse)

Prologue

All I see around me is darkness, swallowing me up. I’m in a small room. Behind the door of this room I can hear the continuous moaning and rhythmic scratching sounds.

They are slowly coming for me. I have nowhere to go, I’m trapped like a feral creature. My hands are empty, I look around for something to arm myself with. Anything. 

I feel a sharp pain in my abdominal region. I place my hands on my side, my hands are wet with blood. I’m bleeding.

Zombies are patient creatures, they pounce when they sense weakness and right now I’m weak. But at least they haven’t infected me, not yet anyway.

The only thought that seems to comfort me is the memory of my mother.

Her eyes and her smile seem to make this situation more bearable.

That’s all I remember of her. I was only 8 when she died. My father also died. And I know the truth, after all these years I know why and who did this. 

The scratching of the door has turned into loud banging. They can smell my blood I’m fresh meat to them and they are coming for their feast.

How did I end up here? I am Liam Parcel and this is what happened.

CHAPTER 1: Chaos!

I woke up on the sofa, news blaring, helicopters soaring outside the apartment.

I stayed up late last night but I don’t remember the details but flashes of moments: eating pizza from the box, my sister packing items into her suitcase, police cars patrolling and blocking off some major roads, like makeshift border crossings.

I look around the apartment praying my sister Amanda would show, but she was nowhere to be found. My mouth felt like I had eaten a handful of sand. Amanda was probably at work.

She works at a law firm and is the brains of the family, if you can call it that...

Our parents died in a car crash in the summer of 2002. I remember that day clearly like it was yesterday. I remember them driving us over to Aunty Sue and giving Amanda and I a kiss and a wave before driving off.

It was a Saturday and we spent most Saturdays with Aunty Sue. She is dad’s older sister. She is a quiet but a sweet lady who loves to bake. Her cakes are the talk of the neighbourhood.

She always allowed me to help her mix the ingredients and if I was good she would allow me to lick the bowl after. After eating our dinner and cake, we watched Saturday night Television.

That’s why I love Aunty Sue. She let us stay past our bedtime to watch TV.

At around 9pm that day there was a knock on the door, I went to get it expecting it to be dad to drive us back home. It wasn’t. Instead two police men were standing at the door looking stoic.

That’s when I heard. My life was never the same again.

We are both ‘orphans’ or that’s what the locals call us behind our backs when they don’t think we are listening. I always hated that word. Orphan. It sound like something you should pity.

We don’t need any pity or worried glances thrown in our direction.

Aunty Sue took us under her wing, she meant a lot to us and still means a lot to us. Without her we would.. I don't know what would have become of Amanda and I. She has no kids and she is married to Uncle David known to his co-workers as Dr. David Anderson.

He was a barely ever at home.

He worked at a lab out of town as a scientist. But when he was home he was a cheery man, who would buy us sweets once in a while. We moved out once my sister saved up for an apartment downtown and we have been living here since then. I always try to keep regular contact with Aunty sue, I  visit her probably twice or three times a month.