Chapter 15

"Big day," Nora said to herself in the mirror. Sif sat behind her in a chair by the window. A group of women tended to Nora's hair and make-up. Today was the start of the engagement festivities. She and Thor were to ride in a chariot around all of Asgard, starting and ending with the castle, to present her as the crown prince's royal bride-to-be.

The kind handmaids did Nora up in powder, blush, and set curls in her hair. They pulled a turquoise gown and presented it to her, which Nora tried her best to refrain from showing her distaste for. It was a lovely gown, but her distaste was mainly because the color was that of what Frigga wore. And now that Nora could see herself in the mirror, her hair was done in the same way that Frigga did hers. These were Frigga's handmaids after all, and perhaps this is what they thought was best for the queen to be.

"Thank you," Nora said as they brought the gown forward. "That is all for now. Lady Sif can assist me in dressing."

The handmaids turned and left with thankful nodding. As soon as the door was shut, Nora turned to Sif, "Do I look ridiculous, or is it just me?"

Sif bit her lip, "You look... nice."

Nora rolled her eyes and turned back towards the mirror. She quickly took to rubbing the powder and rouge from her cheeks and eyes until she could recognize herself again. She ran her hands over her face, altering the makeup until it looked more natural. Then, she took to undoing the curls from her hair until it was silky and long.

"Might I?" Sif asked. Nora glanced over her shoulder as Sif walked forward with a hairbrush. Nora sat and waited for what Sif intended, which was to brain a crown of Nora's hair around the crest of her skull. It left plenty of her long hair down but tied back all of the pieces around her face. Nora was unbelievably pleased, and grateful that her friend did her hair for her in a way that suited her.

"What are you going to do about that?" Sif asked, looking at the turquoise gown.

Nora had conjured her gowns plenty of times before, but this was a gown to be seen by all. Nora touched the fabric, turning it into a velvet maroon dress. The bodice was adorned with gold detailing and the resemblance of roses on her neckline.

"That'll do," Sif nodded as Nora turned to show her what she had done.

Sif accompanied Nora to the front entrance, where Thor, Odin, Frigga, and the Warriors Three were waiting. Plenty of Odin's guards surrounded the party and would walk alongside the carriages in the parade. Odin and Frigga were to follow after Thor and Nora in their carriage.

"Hello, little one," Thor smiled as he took both her hands in his.

"Morning," she said. She looked Thor over, dressed in his suit of armor after a fresh bath. He was dashing.

"Ready?" he said, guiding her to the chariot. It was full of flowers and gold. She raised her foot up the first step and in as Thor followed. She glanced behind them to see Odin and Frigga situated as well.

"Greetings, Arnora," Odin smiled. Nora bowed her head in respect. "Are you excited for today's festivities?"

"Every day is festive in Asgard," Nora smiled.

"That it is, Nora," Thor smiled, patting her arm.

"I think it best that Arnora goes by her full name," Odin said with demand. "As you will take a royal title, nicknames are beneath your status."

Nora took a moment to process his words. Thor turned to his father, "Father, her name does not weigh that title. If she wishes to go by Nora–"

"Arnora," Odin corrected. Then he sat back and stared off ahead. The conversation was over.