Chapter I: The Way Beginning

The exact words ran in my head when I had turned twelve-years-old. Max, you're a maledictus. You may be wondering, what the heck are maledictus'? Well, let me introduce myself and a bit about my hectic life.

Hi, I'm Maximus Cadel, otherwise known as Max. I had an ordinary life and a decent education, but a pretty odd family past. For one, I had never met or seen my dad and my mum is very secretive about him. My mother, Sarah, has been my greatest blessing. Ever. Although she and I lived alone in a tiny apartment, she provided me with everything I needed and made sure I was happy and safe. She told me everything which was going on, and I told her all of my secrets too. At least... I thought she told me everything...

The morning I turned twelve, she woke me up very early in the morning, cautious that the neighbours may hear if she told me any later. I remember my eyes drooping as the rising sun shined across my face, and I dawdled to the table, taking a seat. "M-M-Maximus." she started. "I-I-I haven't been completely h-honest with y-you." I could've sworn she was going to wet herself. I cocked my head to the side and rose an eyebrow. "A-about your life. A-About your f-f-father. You're a m-maledictus." The word rang in my head for quite a while. I opened my mouth to speak but she stopped me. "It's when you have the ability to turn into a specific animal." My jaw slightly dropped. My drowsiness had seemed fade and I had many gnawing, hungry questions ringing in my head. However, all I could get out is. "Choo?"

My mum seemed to understand that I knew what was going on. She didn't answer any of my questions, but carried on. "Your father is one of the maledictus gods." she stated. I was puzzled and I stared at her, meeting her eyes. "A- god?" I asked dreamily but unbelievably. "Y-y-yes. Well-" She saw my confused expression. A human married to a god? "Think of it as greek mythology! You know, all the gods and goddesses being attracted to mortals and having kids with them?" She queried, speaking in a lighter tone now. I nodded, my understanding  gradually rising. "This is so cool!" I exclaimed. My mum's eyes widened with fear. They welled up with tears. "Oh Max!" she cried. I perked up. Did I say something wrong? Was there more to just having a god as a dad? "Being a maledictus is very very dangerous. You'll have bad people- who'll do t-terrible things to you. I should have n-n-never m-married your dad." she sobbed. I shook my head. "No. No. Don't ever think that, mum!" Although I had no idea what was going on, I  knew that being a male-whatever wasn't that pleasing after all.

It took a while until my mum calmed down. "Max I know you've been homeschooled all your life, but I need you to attend this-this... school. Until you're old enough to-to care for yourself in the outside world." She said. I was more surprised being told this than me being half-animal. "You're sending me to school?  You're sending me... away?" I questioned. Her eyes welled up with tears again. "Max, you can still call and visit on the summer holidays." Her shining eyes looked hurt. Pained, for a mere twelve-year-old to be sent away, telling them they may die if they stay. I had never expected this to happen in my life. Ever.

And this is how my journey began.