Chapter 2 I Am Sorry

"Firey, are you OK?", asked Leafy to Firey.

Truth be told, Firey was not OK. Far from it. He had been feeling severe guilt from everything he had done to Leafy. From not letting her onto the original Dream Island to ignoring her for years to even being mean to her at times. Even though Firey had been forgiven by Leafy...,

... it didn't mean that he forgave himself.

"Oh, yeah, Leafy, don't worry, I am just fine.", said Firey.

But, Leafy was not convinced and showed a look on her face to make her feeling clear. Firey sighed. He knew that he wasn't fooling Leafy... or himself.

"OK, the truth is, well..., *sigh* I have been feeling severe guilt from all of those years I have ignored you and been mean to you and not letting you onto the original Dream Island, all for a petty reason no less, is so cruel and even though you forgave me and we made up, I still feel bad and sad. I haven't forgiven myself because of how I purposely hurt you.", Firey explained.

Leafy looked at Firey, with a pain in her heart. "I am so sorry, Firey, I had no idea you were going through that.", she said. "If it makes you feel any better, that's how I feel everyday, too. Me stealing Dream Island from you and never apologizing until years later, and all for that petty reason has made me feel guilty as well. I, also, never forgave myself for it, either."

The duo looked at each other. Firey was on the verge of tears but being the tough guy he was, he simply breathed in deep breaths and felt better. But, Leafy was not as lucky.

Leafy felt tears brimming in her eyes. She tried as hard as she could to hold them back. But, she couldn't. She didn't want to cry. Not in front of Firey and especially not for this reason when the reason was already resolved.

Or was it?

Firey saw that Leafy was struggling not to cry. He saw the tears in her eyes and saw her shaking slightly. He could only imagine the pain Leafy felt from that moment, all the way back to when BFDI ended and BFDIA began. Firey then thought back to when Leafy was in exile for stealing Dream Island. He could only imagine how terrible Leafy felt and how lost and scared she must have been.

Firey grabbed a Yoyleberry and ate it. He turned into metal. Then, he approached Leafy.

"Leafy, let it all out. This is what you need to let your feelings out and finally find peace.", he said.

Leafy looked at Firey. She had never cried in front of Firey before. She was scared and embarrassed for what she was about to do. But, Firey had a warm smile and a very kind and gentle approach and appearance. He placed a hand on Leafy's back. Soon, Leafy felt a tear fall, then another, then another.

Soon, Leafy was crying softly.

Firey hugged Leafy and held her close. Leafy cried and sobbed. She could feel herself getting weaker as she did. She got louder and louder until, she was wailing like it was the last day of the whole world for everyone.

As time went on, Leafy eventually stopped crying and it became nothing but a few sniffles and hiccups. Firey bent down and picked up a tissue. He gave it to Leafy.

"Here, blow.", he said.

Leafy took it and blew her nose hard and loud. Firey was surprised. Leafy handed it back to Firey. "Here, Firey.", she said. Firey looked at it in disgust. "Gee, thanks.", he said, sarcastically. Leafy couldn't help but chuckle. Firey smiled back, good-naturedly.

Leafy wiped off her remaining tears and took a deep breath. Firey patted her on the back. "Are you OK, now, Leafy?", he asked. "Yes, I am better. I guess I just needed to let it all out and finally be free from my guilt.", she explained. "Same here, I let a few tears fall as well.", he confessed. "I think we both need to forgive ourselves just as we did to each other.", said Leafy. Firey nodded.

"I am sorry, Firey."

"I am sorry, too, Leafy."

After a long day, Leafy and Firey knew that to truly move on, they would have to forgive themselves just as they forgave each other.

And finally, at last, they had.