19. Two Weeks to Change the Melody

I wasn't going to reply. I promised myself that I wasn't. No siree. Made a solemn oath that I was going to leave that man on seen today.

And yet, when I woke up and saw three text messages from Noah, I fumbled with my phone and had it land directly on my face.

"Ouch," I whined, rubbing my nose as I sat up, finally unlocking the screen.

The first message he sent was from last night, after I'd already fallen asleep, and the remaining two were from this morning.

My heart did an uncomfortable little squeeze and without even thinking I started typing out a response

And then, deleted it before I could press send.

Nope. I wasn't going to reply. Yesterday was my wake up call. The moment I realized that I had played to his tune way too much the past few days. It was time I changed up the melody.

Jumping out of bed with renewed energy, I hummed to myself as I picked out my comfy outfit of the day. Turns out, I didn't even need coffee. Being the Petty Queen and leaving Noah on read gave me enough energy to start the day on the right note.

I sat down at my desk and flipped open a notebook I used to write out some ideas and thoughts. It wasn't exactly a journal, more like a random collection of whatever I felt like writing down. Today, that random something was going to be Noah.

For starters, I had to figure out where it all went wrong. So, I started simple. I wrote down two columns, one titled Goals and the other Execution.

And then everything came pouring out.

Goal: Exposing Noah as a cruel heartbreaker that plays with girls emotions

Execution: Lacking evidence that he actually set out to hurt anyone

Goal: Finding our what kind of alien witchcraft mind mojo he uses on girls

Execution: No proof of any supernatural activity, girls just like him for him

Goal: Make him fall in love with me and break his heart so he gets a taste of his medicine

Execution: Failed big time. Changed my mind as soon as I came up with this villain scenario

Goal: Learn what makes him so damn irresistible to every girl in school

Execution: Increasingly afraid figuring that out will end with me being one of those girls

Goal: Teach him what love is (?)

Execution: Would be nice if you actually had the answer to that yourself

The more down the list I went, the more my nice mood from the morning started doing a deep dive. I smacked my head down on the desk and groaned.

No wonder things were a mess right now.