Prologue

Salt hung in the air as Adelaide ran toward Roald Sea. Her hair trailed behind her like golden sunlight. Adelaide was eleven, careless and fancy free. The water spread out before her; impossibly blue, harsh and unforgiving. Most don't dare coming to these waters but the sea was Adelaide's home.

She braced herself for the cold waters and jumped in. Adelaide swam and twirled around a little bit, not surfacing. She took a deep breath. Almost everyone would die if they attempted doing this but not her people. Years of living next to the sea and a little magic from the waters, made air and water their breath.

The girl swim back to shore, realizing her friends were standing on the sand. They waved to her, singing an old folk song. One of the girls, which they called Gwen, had deep auburn hair and hazel eyes. The other named Isadolde, had beautiful caramel skin and dark brown wavy hair. Three of them together of were obviously the prettiest girls in the village. But it came at a price.

As they walked back home, shadows crept up on them. The shadows became people, determined to take them away to where they lived, the mainland. They grab the girls. They screamed and fought and thrashed, anything to get away. But still they were taken away from the sea. Away from the only home they'd ever known.