Abre Los Ojos

“What’s going on?” Antonio asked. “What’s happening?”

“Dolores, do you hear anything?” Abuela asked, not answering her grandson’s question.

Dolores tilted her head to hear what was going on in town better. Her eyes widened in shock. “That’s… impossible…”

“What is it?” Julieta asked. “Is everyone alright?”

“There’s a fire,” she responded.

“The townspeople have informed me of this. I want to know who set it up,” Abuela replied.

“Wait,” Camilo said. “You think it’s one of us?!”

“I need to know exactly what happened,”

“But we didn’t do anything, Abuela! I was upstairs with Isa and Mirabel and Dolores and Sofía and we weren’t anywhere near town. I have no idea what happened!”

“I do,” Dolores whispered before squeaking.

“What? What did you hear?” Mirabel practically demanded.

“They’re back. The invaders are back,”

“What? But that’s impossible!” Abuela exclaimed.

Bruno sighed. “I can look into it,” And he left the scene before another word could be said.

“How?” Abuela demanded. “How is this possible?”

“No sé, Abuela,” Dolores responded. “All I know is that they’re here. And they want revenge,”

“Revenge?” Antonio piped up. “What is revenge?”

“Getting back at someone who did something bad to you, Toñito,” Sofía answered the curious boy.

“Why would they want revenge? Did we do something bad?”

“No, Toñito. We didn’t do anything wrong. Just some bad people want to get what they want to make us sad because we survived,” Pepa told her son.

“Why would someone do that?”

“Some people are just bad, hermano,” Camilo said. “That’s how we got our miracle,”

Dolores’s squeak caught everyone off guard. “They’re coming,”

Panic emerged.

“What?”

“Where?”

“Now?!”

“How?”

“Why?!”

Sofía internally panicked. She realized this is exactly why her quest was unfinished. She needed to save the others from the invaders.

“Sofía?” Camilo asked. “You okay?”

“Hm? Oh, yeah,” she said, snapping out of her trance. Then being her sarcastic self, she added, “Totally okay when there’s a bunch of invaders coming to kill us all,” Camilo only rolled his eyes. “What? Can't I tell the truth?”

“You don’t need to be so blunt?”

“Why are you questioning your words? Plus, do you even know what that means?”

“Maaaaybe? I mean, I’ve heard Mami use it before,”

“Idiota,” she muttered.

Despite the circumstances, Isabela was practically cooing over the two.

“We need to gather the town,” Abuela said, grabbing everyone’s attention.

“What’s going to happen?” Antonio asked in a small, fearful voice.