Chapter 14

"Where is that? Where the hell is that?" somebody was shouting.

"I found it!" somebody else answered.

"So, where is it?" the first person asked, and then added, "Sir, this is not good!"

Racer heard Gardener asking, "Where is it?"

"In a strawberry field," answered somebody form his crew.

"Racer, did you hear that?" Gardener asked.

"Yup, I heard it," Racer said. He was looking at Gardener on the car's computer screen. "Why there?"

"He's going to play on your emotions. You daughter's body is probably in that field. He'll make you dig it up."

"I see," said Racer. That was all he could say for the moment. A wave of hatred overtook him and paralyzed his thoughts for a second, but he made an effort and gradually regained control over his actions.

"I'm coming too, son," Gardener said. "I have to talk to this guy. Call him and conference me in on the call."

"Call StormRider, override the response waiting!" Racer said the moment his com showed a connection. He ignored formalities. "Rider, you son of a bitch! You want to talk to me at my daughter's grave? You want to talk? Well, let's talk!"

"Hey, wait a second, buddy!" StormRider said. "I see you got my coordinates. How did—?"

"General StormRider, old friend, can you hear me?" Gardener intervened, "General Gardener here. Change of plans, I'm coming too. We need to talk."

"Who invited you?" Rider said.

"I invited myself, of course. You know perfectly well why, and I know your condition—no technology, no backup. Leave your com and all your devices in the car. Leave the car far away. Walk a mile for a change."

He's challenging Rider, making him feel adversarial, Racer thought.

"You want it? You've got it!" There was a clear irritation in Rider's voice. "No technology. We'll talk face to face, like the old times. I'm coming alone. Keep your kids away from that field, and send those video cameras home too."

"Done! We'll meet you there in an hour," Gardener said.

"Two hours. I need time to reposition," Rider said.

He's not on NAZ? Racer thought. No, he's here. He just needs time to talk to his boss.

***

NightRacer and Gardener walked to the site in silence. It was still hot, but the sun wasn't burning too much. A light breeze was stirring the grass, and a dust devil was moving across the strawberry field. Before reaching the destination, Gardener handed him a piece of bread dipped in grass wine.

"Am I absolved of my sins?" Racer said.

"You are, son," said Gardener. "It's not much, but it'll have to do. Listen to his breath, check his eyes just in case, and if you can hear his heart, listen to his heart beat. You think he'll keep his word and leave his gizmos in the car?"

"Who, Rider? Probably not. Can Julie hear us here?" Racer said.

"In this field? Absolutely."

The com chimed when they reached the GPS coordinates. There was a grave a couple of feet from where they sat down. The thorn branch was still in the ground, but the grave was covered with dirt.

Is Hellen's body in that grave? Racer thought.

When the wine kicked in and their perception widened, NightRacer saw a man walking in the grass a couple of miles to the north. He turned halfway and whispered to Gardener, "Here he comes!"