81

The simulated battlefield mode is turned on, and the originally cold bare metal walls were covered with virtual electronic images.

    On the barren planet, countless ferocious Zergs rushed towards the mecha suspended in the air in swarms, like a dark flood making one’s scalp numb.

    The mecha was pitch black, like a huge silent beast.

    But when it moved, it was as agile and sharp as cold lightning, and in the blink of an eye, it passed through the gap between the Zergs.

    Haines’ voice came through the communicator.

    His voice was low, and his words were concise and powerful: “…Turn a 30° angle to the left and turn on the laser protection layer. Turn sideways and move downwards 20 meters. Turn on the automatic missile device.”

    In the practice field, the black mecha completed his instructions fully and swifty—

    The next second, a huge roar of shells sounded, and only the blackened corpse was suspended in the space in front of him.

    Everything went silent.

    Haines raised his head and stared at the mecha not far away, a look of amazement flashed in the depths of his dark pupils.

    When it comes to actual mecha combat, the entire Interstellar may not have more rights to speak about it than him.

    It was only his third time piloting a mecha, and the other could already completely fulfil his instructions, and could even sharply refine and improve it according to his actual situation, as to maximize the power and destructive power of the mecha and the weapons. And he’s not afraid of taking risks—sometimes it can be said that his actions were too dangerous and thrilling, but he always maintained extreme calmness and rationality at the critical moment.

    ——He had the talent, the courage, and potential.

    As if born for this.

    The simulated battlefield in the air flickered, and all the scenery slowly faded away as if erased, leaving only the cold and clean metal walls.

    On the screen on the podium appeared the face of Ge Xiu in the command room.

    A little bit of sweat glimmered on the tip of his nose, his jet-black hair was wet with sweat, sticking to his fair forehead, and a blush appeared on his cheeks due to the rapid movements and mental exhaustion.

    The young man gasped slightly, but his eyes were still as bright as stars, a the points of blazing light was rippling in the bottom of his eyes, once a person looked in them they were hooked and couldn’t look away.

    The corners of his lips were slightly raised, and he couldn’t wait to urge: “Come again!”

    Haines suddenly remembered the old photo that Admiral Drost sent to his spaceship—the handsome and sunny boy smiling brightly at the camera, his pointy tiger teeth making him seem playful and lively, with a bit of innocence of not knowing the world.

    Not icy, calm, ruthless.

    —or comatose, pale, bloodstained.

    Haines felt a dull pain in his heart.

    The pain was not sharp and distinct, but a long-lasting heavy pressure, spreading from his chest, making him feel as if he wanted to destroy something, or maybe he was just wanted to hold the other person firmly in his arms, to alleviate the sudden rush of pain.

    The teenager watched him expectantly from the screen.

    Haines was heartless: “That’s all for today, your current physical condition has not recovered, and your mental strength will not allow you to continue driving.”