XXVI

The next morning, Robert slowly wakes up early as the sunlight hits his face. He yawns softly, and noticed the fireplace is now out and curtains were already opened by Barrow and Albert, whom he also saw just leaving the room and closing the library door again. He then looks at his still sleeping family, and slowly smiles at the sight.

Cora was holding him close, an arm wrapped around him while her head resting on his chest. Alex was also facing his direction, and has an arm wrapped around his mother. Mary and Edith are also facing him, with Mary snuggled to his side, and Edith laying her side on her sister's back.

His wife then slowly wakes up, and saw him. Robert smiles lovingly at her.

"Good morning." he said, softly.

"Morning." Cora replied back sleepily, and gently kisses him. He smiles as he kisses her back. A kiss from her in the morning always gives him energy to start the day, whatever that day may bring to them.

"You can't move?" she then asks as she slowly pulls away.

"Unfortunately. But I'm not complaining." he answers "I am enjoying this moment more than I expected."

"That's good thing, then." Cora chuckles softly.

They then settled close together for a few more minutes, all before their children finally wake up from their slumbers.

"God, my back hurts." they all complained in unison, making their parents laugh softly.

"Good morning to you too, children." Cora smiles at them.

"How long have the two of you been awake?" Edith asks them as they slowly sat up as well.

"Just a few minutes ago" their father replied "Did you all had a good sleep?"

"Other than complaining from our back pain—yes, we did had a good sleep." Mary said, to which her siblings agreed in unison.

"We should get up now. The rest of the family might see us here." their mother then said.

The rest of the family then slowly gets up from their makeshift bed, and did a few stretches as they stood up. Barrow then enters the library and announced:

"Lady Rosamund Painswick, your Lordship."

All of them turn around, and saw Rosamund enter the room—before she come into a halt as she saw their state.

"No wonder why it's all quiet upstairs." she then teased.

"Good morning to you too, dear sister." the Earl said sleepily as he puts on his sleeping robe "Terribly sorry for us waking up quite late and you reaching this...mess."

"At least Mama wasn't the one to see you."

"Is Mama coming up early?" Cora then asks as she fixes her sleeping robe.

"In a few minutes, or less." Rosamund replied "She called a few minutes ago. She and The Mertons wanted to see Alex and Edith off, and it's also supposed to be a surprise."

"Thank you for the warning, then." Robert said to his sister "I suppose we'll get changing now."

"Certainly. But do tell me everything about your little sleepover at the library." Rosamund said as they head upstairs, joining her brother as Cora and the siblings went ahead.

"Of course. We'll explain everything, don't worry." Robert then turns to Barrow "Barrow, can you all please fix the library before the Dowager Countess arrives. She might faint if she sees the mess. Her Ladyship and I will be the ones to return the blankets to Mrs. Hughes later."