Chapter 20

Maddie's POV
"How is she?" I hear my dad's voice. "She didn't woke up since you left, but we got her results from the CT. She has a little fracture in her skull causing her headache, it should heal on its own but we monitor her closely. She has to stay here for at least a week. We will check on that fracture in her arm in a bit." Will answers. I open my eyes and look around. My dad and uncle Will are talking silently in the corner of my room. "Dad, did you find mom?" I say causing their attention. "Hey baby, how are you feeling." He comes up to me and gives me a kiss. "Did you find mom?" I ask again. He smiles sadly but nods. "Where is she? I want to see her!" I call out and pull myself up but I'm immediately pushed back by my dad and uncle. "We can't right now." Dad tells me. "Of course we can. If she is here, I want to see her. I want to go to mom." I say tearfully. "Look, she is in recovery right now. We can't go to her, as soon as we can we'll go deal?" Dad says. I sigh and nod. "Is she hurt really bad?" I ask. Dad looks at Will and then back at me. "She took a bunch of beatings. They did a surgery to repair some internal bleedings but she is pulling through. But she still needs to stay in the hospital for a few days." Dad explains. "Okay.." I say. "Hey! There is our little munchkin. How are you feeling?" uncle Adam steps in smiling. "Better, thanks." I say. "Good, you definitely have more color on your face." Uncle Adam says. "Kiddo, why don't we take a better look at your arm huh? See how it's doing?" Uncle Will comes up. I nod and he starts carefully taking the bandage and cooling packages off. I slightly wince in pain but I manage it. I look at my arm who is looking al kind of colors and I look worried at my uncle's face. "I'll go get Connor. Be right back." He says and walks out. "It's bad isn't it?" I say and look at my dad and Adam. "It's nothing they can't fix. I'm sure." Dad answers and take my hand. "Hi, your uncle told me you were awake and your arm is looking colorful, can I see?" Connor comes in and sits on my bed. He carefully examines my arm. "Okay, I think we should be able to take you to the OR right now. We need to fix that fracture." He explains. "As in right now?" I ask confused. "Yeah, it's a pretty standard procedure. Two hours maximum. After that you we will get you into the children's ward to recover okay?" Connor says. I nod. "Let's get you up the OR then." He continues and gets ready. I look at my dad who takes my hand and gives me a kiss. "I'll wait for you okay? You're going to be fine." He says. They wheel me out of the room and I wave to the team. When we get in the OR Connor lifts me up the bed and I lay down. "We're going to put this mask on your nose and mouth. It has a funny smell, like.. elephant poop I've been told." He smiles. "Yikes." I laugh. They put the mask on and I indeed smell something like poop.. my eyes get heavier and the OR gets blurry.

Jay's POV
I certainly don't know what to do at this moment. My wife is in recovery fighting for her life. My daughter is in surgery also fighting. This can't be true. "Jay? Jay!" Kim gets me out of my thoughts. "Wait what?" I look up and see Dr. Marcel standing. "Your wife is awake, you can go see her now." He tells me. "Thanks man." I say and follow him into her room. "Hails." I say when I see her. "Hey." She responds. I go sit on her bed an take her hand. "How are you feeling?" I ask her. "Great. Little tired that's all." She says and looks around the room. "Where is Maddie?" She questions. "Jay? Where is Maddie? Where is she?" She starts to freak out. "Calm down, she is in surgery right now. She had a fracture in her arm and they are fixing it right now." I say. "She is going to be okay right?" She looks at me. "Of course. She is a Halstead, she will be fine." I say and sit down next to her allowing her to get in my side. "Jay? What about Dale?" She asks. "Voight took care of that." I say and kiss her forehead. "Hey, Maddie is back and awake. I think she would love to see you both don't you?" Dr. Rhodes comes in. "Yes of course. Immediately." I say. "Guys?" He calls out and the nurses wheel Maddie into the room. "Mom!" She calls out and jumps out of bed. "Uh, I thought you just had a surgery. Shouldn't you be doing it slowly?" Dr. Rhodes smiles at her. "I don't care. I have my mom here." She answers and climbs in bed hugging the both of us the best she can with her arm which is in a cast right now. "Are you okay mom?" Maddie asks. "I'm much better now I have you two." She answers and I pull them both close. I smile. My family is safe and we're all together.