Chapter 1

Hey guys! Here's the first chapter of Raven's daughter! Enjoy!

Chapter 1

Rayne's POV

I could hear the sound of hooves coming from a distance. It came quite near to where I was and stopped. A series of heavy footsteps replaced the trampling of hooves. Twigs were trod upon and broken as the footsteps quickened their pace. From the place where I was hiding, I could see the faces of some of them.

Damn vampires! I've hated them ever since I understood what hate was. From what my aunt had told me, a vampire had taken my Mum away from the day I was born. What sane person would do that? Oh, my mistake, they weren't persons actually. They were cold, heartless vampires.

What could my Mum have had to do with them? I wondered.

Just then, I heard the sound of a door creaking open and grew alert immediately. Though it was difficult to stand, I somehow managed to do so in the confined, damp, little cellar of the miller's house. He and his family had gone to town to pay a visit to  the family someone who had recently died. 

Killed by a vampire and possibly turned into one no doubt, I thought.

There was water dripping constantly from somewhere above. I heard footsteps on the ground above me and armed myself with my weapon which was a crossbow.

The people of this town had such primitive  and rustic methods of protecting themselves that I had a hearty laugh on the day we first arrived. Though, Varik had warned me not to do so in front of the townsfolk as it would offend them.

Varik was the leader of our group of vampire hunters. He had taken me in as a child of three when my aunt died. Varik is the only thing closest to family I've ever had. I never knew my mother, she died a few minutes after my birth, and nobody knew who my father was. Nobody cared enough to find out too.

Varik had brought me up, trained me along with the others. He had been a like a father to me,my mentor, my guide. His wife had been taken by a vampire long ago and that made him take up hunting. His three sons were hunters too. They were off to somewhere else today so I had to come and finish what they had started three weeks ago with these newly-turned ones in the local miller's house.

I stringed my bow and waited for them, silently. I held my breath in case they sensed me. I didn't have to wait long.

The cellar door creaked open, letting a sliver of light in. It was absolutely dark down in the cellar and I couldn't really see things clearly.  But I could hear my enemy approaching in the dark. As soon as I was sure that the vampire had come near enough for me to shoot, I shot.

I heard an ear-splitting scream and then several more footsteps coming down the cellar stairs. One by one I started locating them and shooting. I wasn't shooting point blank as I was sure of where they were even in the dark. I had had such developed senses ever since I was a barely a child. Who knows where I inherited them from?

Within in an hour,most of those vile creatures lay dead. Having completed my job successfully, I  climbed up the cellar stairs and was about to leave when I was pinned to the ground all of a sudden. I wondered whether the miller and his family had returned from their little trip to the town because if they had I would be in deep trouble. With both the humans and the vampires.

 I heard voices around me, talking in hushed tones, about something. Most probably me. Because I heard them say, " I think that is Raven's daughter..." "Oooh....who's this Raven..?" " Oh, now I recall.."