Adults?

"If you can behave I'll let you out." Joker said as he unlocked the door to a padded cell. Jess had been locked away with an inhibitor collar and a straight jacket since she showed up back at the harbor after going to the Halloween dance. Joker helped her out of the straight jacket and unlocked the collar.

"Joker. Riddler said he's got a proposal from the light. Something involving Sports-" the goons and Joker disappeared leaving Jess confused. She used a pocket to get her phone and check her messages. She had a couple from Superboy, but nothing else.

-Superboy-
I hope you're okay.
It's been a couple days. Are you hurt like last time, or is this you ignoring me? I can't ever tell with you.

She was typing out a response when she got another text.

-Superboy-
All the adults have gone missing. We could use your help gathering kids.

Thinking this through she decided she was Gotham's best help at the moment if all the adults are missing.

-Emergency Contact-
Was grounded.
Will take care of Gotham since boy wonder is most likely occupied with undoing this situation.

-Superboy-
Glad you aren't hurt. I'll keep you posted.

Jess had used her pocket to rescue several trapped children as well as stop unruly teens from graffiti and other various criminal activities.

-Superboy-
Zatanna says this is the work of a powerful sorcerer but she can't think of anyone with this much magic power.

-Emergency Contact-
Maybe it's more than one.
I'll do some digging.

Jess went someplace quiet to focus. Opening a pocket to someone was much more difficult than a pocket to a known location. She focused on Klarion, since he was the only 'juvenile' sorcerer she could think of to ask. She didn't like dealing with Klarion, but if it would help get the adults back she was going to have to.

She steps out of the pocket to find Klarion with his back to her. Teekl noticed her first and trotted over for pets. She smiled softly at the familiar and picked her up.

"Hello pretty kitty." She greeted earning a purr like chirp from the cat. Teekl purred as Jess scratched behind her ears. "Klarion not being too mean to you is he?" Teekl meowed and nuzzles Jess' hand. "Such a good kitty."

"Jokers brat. What are you doing here?" Noticing the field and pentagram she didn't have to ponder a guess as to who was behind this occurrence. "And put Teekl down."

"In the event of Joker being gone I fill his role. And as I'm assuming you know the adults are all missing. So you are dealing with Joker and not Jester, so show some respect." She pet Teekl absentmindedly. "How long do you plan to keep up this ruse? I know this is only a distraction for whatever task you gave Riddler. Was it so he could grab something without being seen?"

"You don't know anything brat. Go back to the gutter you crawled out of. You're wasting my time." He went to turn his back but then noticed Teekl still in her arms when she looked down.

"I know a lot more than you give me credit for. Cadmus, Santa Prisca, Atlantis. Just to name a few. No one pays attention to the brat in the background. You should also watch your tone while I hold your cat. I won't kill Teekl but it's hard for you to draw magic when she's far from you isn't it?"

"Are you threatening me?"

"Just stating facts. But you never answered my question. When do you plan to bring the adults back? I don't like being Joker." Klarion laughed.

"Alright then. I have a different idea, I don't need you interfering so away you go." Jess turned around as Klarion blasted her with magic. Teekl had jumped out of her hands, meowing indignantly at Klarion, as she was sent back to the room Joker had just let her out of. She tried to use her pockets but ended up with a bloody nose. Klarion must have blocked her ability.

She sat in the cell for hours thinking over what all could be happening and how uninformed she was. She could have prevented this if she had more info. Thinking back a ways before the grown ups vanished, one of the goons was saying something.

Riddler had joined the light and was working with Sportsmaster, but on what? Why the two of them and no one else? Why did they need the adults to vanish if Riddler and Sportsmaster were adults.

Unless there was a second dimension, that would explain the empty spaces at the pentagram. Klarion didn't have the whole power supply to pull this off so four others were helping. Most likely adults trained in the mystic arts.

But why Riddler and Sportsmaster? Neither of them have mystic powers. But maybe if they were trying to steal something? But what?

So many questions and not enough answers. Early in the morning hours the adults were all back. J more angry than when he vanished. But Jess had her powers back as well.

"The light is causing too many problems for me and needs to be snuffed out. I'm the clown prince of Gotham and I demand to keep that title! No brat with magic fingers is going to take it away from me. Jester, I need you to do a little digging on that witch. Find out everything there is to know and report back."

"Yes J." She left the cell and went to research. She'd have to stay hidden in her pockets though.