Chapter 4 -𝗘𝗱𝗶𝘁𝗲𝗱-

𝗦𝗸𝘆'𝘀 𝗣𝗢𝗩:

~ 𝐀𝐥𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫 ~

I was sitting at my desk. Drilling my fingernails against the wood of my desk.
It was quiet. No phones ringing, no secretary coming into my office to talk on her lunch break, No boss...

*𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠*

*𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠*

*𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠*

The phone on my desk rang. In what was the most annoying tone ever. It sounds like a screaming chicken. I grab the phone quickly before the sound can go on any longer and put it to my ear
"Ms O'Conner's office"

I don't know how long it's been since I had a task "chores" to do around the office. Ms. O'Conner hasn't given me anything to do in the last four days, it's been so goddamn boring and depressing.

Almost everyone here I've tried to make friends with was so stuck up and serious. it was annoying. I didn't realize how lonely it was being in an office by yourself and not around other people until now. Yes, I would go chat with some of my coworkers during my lunch break when I could but..it just wasn't the same.

"Ms. Evans" Rosalina's cold voice rings from the other line. Bored and snappy. as always. I fought off a roll of my eyes.
I was starting to get used to her attitude at this point but it still wasn't any less annoying.

I wasn't surprised by her being on the other end of the line. She would always call my phone instead of calling me into her office like a normal boss.

Over the last few days, I noticed that Rosalina was quite different than normal people- bosses. And I won't lie to myself. I liked that about her.

"Yes, ms. O'Conner" I ask through a small sigh. I sit up straight and back in my chair. Spinning around to look towards her office. The door was wide open and she was nowhere to be seen. She must be calling me from her mobile.

I was hoping she would tell me she needed me to go into her office where a list would be waiting for me of her to-do's that were now my to-do's.

I was hoping for an extra long list so I wouldn't be dreading coming to work. only to sit around in my humid office all day.

Most people would be overjoyed they don't have to do actual work while still getting paid a good damn wage.
But I was different. I needed to work. I needed to be doing something with my hands or my brain. If not I will get bored.

I heard the sound of the city in the background as Rosalina shuffled her phone closer to her mouth "This weekend I need you to assist me on a business trip"

I stopped swirling around in my chair. Surprised. The office phone fell from my grip accidentally. "Shittt"

The whole thing went crashing to the ground. I saw a piece of the black phone chip off and fall to the ground.

I scramble to pick up the phone and place it back on the edge of my desk. People were looking at me from their cubicles. I smiled awkwardly and put the phone back to my ear and went to close the door with the front of my boot.

"Ms. Evans is everything all right" Ms. O'Connor's muffled voice could be heard once again. uninterested and unconcerned.

"Fuc- yes mhm so sorry, so you were saying a trip?"
I chewed on my lip as I waited for her response. Grabbed the phone and stood and walked towards the window.

I've only been working for not even a week and she wants me to assist her on a business trip. Ugh, why now?

I couldn't say no. I knew that. Well, I could make up a lie. A family member's funeral is tomorrow, maybe. Or I have to visit my sickly grandmother in the mental hospital.

What Boss would say no to those excuses? But again I didn't want to say no. I wanted to say yes actually. How nice would it be to get away from New York for a little while? and why not spend it on a business trip with my bitchy boss.

"Yes, a business trip were you not even listening to what I said? Do you want to assist me or not Ms Evans!" Ms O'Conner huffed irritated into her phone. I could hear her heels clicking against the ground of hard flooring. The rush of the city no longer blared behind her.

"Yes, Mhm, Thanks" I heard her say in a sweet voice farther away from her phone speaker. I rolled my eyes. I hope that person knows Ms O'Conner isn't as sweet as her voice.

I would need to pack my clothes. Actually, go buy a suitcase that didn't have moth holes in it from a trip I took when I was fifteen. And actually spend more than ten minutes in my boss's overly exhausting presence.

"Hello!"

"Yes sorry, I will assist you," I said with a small sigh turning away from the window and towards my desk.

"Great," she said. Bags ruffled in the speaker and the sound of the city became loud again. The wind blew into the speaker —at the same time as a chime went off— before it became audible again.
Rosalina's laugh echoed in my ears. I listened.

"Louis Vuitton and UNIQLO?! I likeee" a woman's voice purred. Rosalina laughed "Yes well I needed a little shopping spree"
The other women scoffed but not in a rude way "You Just had one yesterday and the day before that and the day before that one, Lina!"
Rosalina and the women laughed together as if what the women said was the funniest thing in the world.

I clear my throat
"Excuse me when is the trip exactly-" Ms. O'Conner hung up before I could even finish my sentence. I don't know if it was intentional or unintentional.

"Fucking rude b-"
I puffed out my cheeks and let out a sigh. I took the phone from my ear and put it back on the hook. Leaving out my office. I need fresh air.

I get a ding on my computer screen and on my phone screen. It woke me up from dozing off. I yawned and clicked the notification. There on a pink background was the information about the business trip.

Why we were going, Who we were going to see, what was going to happen. Excitement flooded me as I read about the country we were going to at the very end of the e-mail.

We are going to 𝐃𝐮𝐛𝐚𝐢.