Chapter 1: Worlds Collide

Author's Note:

Hello all you wonderful Poliwags! Today is a very special day...the 6th anniversary of Gotta Catch That One, the beginning of my fanfiction and writing career. I have fewer things to share today given a family emergency last week, but I do have some exciting things. Earlier today on Twitter (username KingPoliwag) I revealed the map for my original series that I'm planning. Feel free to head on over there and check it out. As for this, I've got the first part of a three part crossover story for GCTO and LU. It's goofy but hopefully it'll be a fun little adventrue. May even lead to some reveals for something else. Spoilers ahead for both GCTO and LU. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 1: Worlds Collide

Ash had a spring in his step as he made his way up the latest hill, looking out at the forest ahead of him as he slowed to a stop at its peak. Shalour City was still quite a distance away, but he was still excited nonetheless. There was nothing like a difficult training regimen to prepare for big battles, and one of the toughest was awaiting him, and all for the purpose of preparing him for some of the most intense battles of his life.

It had been nearly a year since his victory over Alain in the Kalos League finals, and Ash was finally going to be permitted to challenge the Elite Four of the Kalos region. He'd actually received the official invitation a few months earlier, and was supposed to have begun his challenge soon after, but the League had been quite overwhelmed since the attack by Team Flare, and had asked for a little more time. Things had finally begun to return to normal, though, and no dangers appeared to have surfaced. Ash's official challenge was now on.

Knowing what lay ahead, though, Ash knew he needed a specific kind of preparation. Considering Kalos was the home of Mega Evolution, Ash expected that his Elite Four challenge would consist of facing off against the very best that the enhanced evolution had to offer. After his exhibition match with Diantha, Ash was sure that the Elite Four members would be making sure their Pokemon were in top shape, so he knew he was going to have to be ready with the knowledge and power to beat anything they threw at him.

That was why he'd contacted Korrina as soon as his challenge was officially set to begin. If there was anyone that could help prepare him to face off against the strongest Mega Evolved Pokemon, it would be one of the leading experts on the topic in Korrina's grandfather, Gurkinn. Professor Sycamore had provided Ash with some reading materials, but he felt he was going to do better with Korrina's grandfather's style of training. Ash had gone there for a different kind of training prior to the battle against Team Flare, and it had sure helped him back then.

"Oh man! I can't wait to get started!" Ash shouted, his voice carrying out from his position atop the hill. "This is gonna be so awesome! Right, Pikachu?"

"Pika!" the electric mouse cried out in answer, pumping his fist from Ash's shoulder. A moment later, though, a voice from behind got their attention.

"Ash, would you slow down?"

Ash rubbed the back of his neck, turning with a sheepish grin on his face as he saw his girlfriend slowly making her way up the hill behind him. Serena was excited about their return to Kalos as well, having already entered a showcase since coming back from Kanto, but she was clearly a little fed up with Ash running ahead every chance he had. With Clemont and Bonnie already in Shalour City, it was just the two of them, without Clemont's slow pace, Ash was getting a little carried away.

"Sorry," he murmured, adjusting his hat over his raven-coloured hair as he turned back to look at the path ahead. "It's just so exciting! The Elite Four! And the best training I could ask for to get ready!"