Chapter One

Time has no meaning to me anymore; my life is an endless loop that changes direction once a year. For the past four years I have celebrated my birthday with countless people in different times. I have done the impossible and travelled across time with no knowledge or understanding of how it came to be.

When I was growing up I was sent from foster home to foster home, I never belonged, and never had a place I could call home, never had anyone to call family. When I was sixteen I ran away and ended up in a small town, I wasn't scared I just wanted to build a life for myself. Taking a job in a diner as a waitress I eventually saved up enough money to move into a bedsit. Sheer determination got me through the first year, but days before my eighteenth birthday I realized how lonely and depressed I had become. I didn't have any friends to talk to or hang out with and on the night I turned eighteen I wished for a new life, someone answered my call.

The next day I woke up in a strange place, I was still me but my surroundings were different. Falling asleep in my own bed I had woke in another, the room was decorated beautifully and it was definitely something I couldn't afford. When a woman had burst through the door and began ushering me out of bed to get dressed I froze. Watching as the woman bustled about throwing clothes on the bed I kept pinching myself to see if I was dreaming if I was I had a very detailed mind.

From that moment I found myself living a new life and after two or three weeks of shock I finally let myself go and be the person I always wanted to be, myself. I fit in to my new life perfectly; I even made a few friends. But then my birthday arrived and the next morning I woke again in another new life.

And so it began, every time I adjusted to my life I would be thrown into another. I had no idea if I was meant to be searching for something or if this was how I would live my days. Another year and another birthday and I was about to start again and I just wanted it to end.

Slowly awareness came upon me and I wasn't sure if I wanted to open my eyes yet, to give up my life that I had been enjoying again. Sadness pierced through my soul as the faces of my past raced through my mind. Would they even remember me when I was gone? I would never know what happened to those I met after I left them and after four years it was starting to take its toll on me.

It is still hard to believe that it happened to me; in fact I'm not entirely sure this is real, perhaps I am actually lying in a coma somewhere and I'm really fighting for my life. I was tired now and all I wanted was a normal life, a life that I could call my own.

I tried to sense my surroundings around me before I opened my eyes. I listened for any sounds to indicate if I was alone. After a few minutes I could tell there was no one around me. Slowly opening my eyes I found myself lying in a bed in a square box room and the walls of the room were made of wooden logs. The room was sparse, nothing to tell me where I was. Looking at the blanket covering me I realized it was the fur of a dead animal, a bear maybe. With a squeal I shrugged it off and jumped out of the bed. There were no windows in this room and another animal pelt hung in front of an opening which I was assuming was a door.

Examining myself noticed I was wearing a plain green dress, it was a snug fit. The material was actually quite rough on my skin. This kind of dress was obviously made to cover most of your skin; the only part of me that was visible was my neck and hands. Looking at the bottom of the dress I let out a little giggle, the dress stopped abruptly in the middle of my shins, I seriously doubt this was the way this dress was meant to be worn, which could mean only one thing, someone else had dressed me.

Hearing movement behind the offensive fur I tried to prepare myself. I never knew where I would end up and I was desperate to get back home, even if my life at the time was miserable it was still my own.