[ Chapter 10 ]

*ೃ The past always comes back to haunt us ༄

Lydia was excited beyond words, which is why she screamed and ran around Anne's backyard for a solid 20 minutes before running inside and flopping down on the couch

Anne chuckles and sits down beside her, sitting her up and handing her a sippy cup of water. She swings her legs a little, catching her breathe.

"So you're now Grandma Anne?" She asks after a moment, a wide grin on her face. Anne returned the gesture, nodding as Lydia giggled and hugged her tightly. 

"But where are Hazza and Lou-Lou?" She huffs, bottom lip sticking out in a pout.

"Aw hun, they're gonna be here soon alright? Till then you and me can have loads of fun" She says, picking her up as she carries her to the kitchen.

"Can Grandpa Robin come too? Its not nice having fun without him" She says, and Anne kisses her forehead with a smile.

"Of course he can love" She says and just then Robin walks in, placing the groceries on the kitchen counter.

"GRANDPA ROBIN" Lydia cheers, running up to him as he playfully throws her in the air and catching her.

It had been a day or two since they'd come back, the boys were at the studio to resume work on their album. Anne and Robin were ecstatic about having Lydia as their granddaughter. She brought so much energy to the house, running around and even got them to play tea party with her toys.

-----------------------

It was around 7 PM as the three of them sat at the table, Lydia fussing over her pasta as Anne and Robin laughed how she'd picked on Harry's eating habits. 

A swift knock on the door alerts the couple, brows furrowing in confusion as Anne stands up to open the door. 

"Hi?" 

A couple not much older than 30 stood in front of her, looking well dressed and neat. The woman wore a dress while the man looked like he'd come straight from some million dollar business deal meeting. 

"Uhm hey" the woman says timidly. "Are you Mrs. Anne twist?" She asks looking at a piece of paper in her hand.

"Why yes I am, and your good self?" She asks opening the door slightly more.

"I'm Brianna and this is my husband Aaron, we're Lydia's parents."

Anne's eyes blink in surprise, face forming into a downward frown as she realizes what this means. But she couldn't trust just anyone knocking at their door, she needed to make sure. 

"Would you please give me a moment?"

The couple nods as she walks inside. Ushering Robin to the kitchen, she tells him about the couple at the door. After a slight hesitation, they decide to call up the boys and their lawyer for further questions.

Anne knew if this is what she thinks it is, Harry and Louis would be heartbroken, she'd seen them excited over the new turn in their lives and it had been a heartwarming thing to witness.

Harry had already picked out bedroom decorations, Louis already went on a shopping trip with Liam and Niall for Lydia, buying almost the entire store of toys. 

She'd seen the two boys struggle and strive for each other merely at 18, and to find solace in someone so young and bright made her heart ache. She knew loosing Lydia would break them, even though they were so young, with no knowledge about looking after kids. The little girl had managed to fill light and laughter in their lives within the short time they spent with her.

And Anne would be lying if she herself hadn't felt that love towards Lydia, she'd seen the little baby, whose parents ruthlessly left her on the steps of the orphanage in the chilly winter morning, grow up to become someone who brings people smiles and joy.

"Hey mum" Harry's slightly tired voice broke Anne's train of thoughts, bringing her back to present.

"Hey hazza, uhm there's a minor problem here"

"What? What happened? Is Ly okay?" She could tell by the sudden increase in pitch of his voice that he was panicked.

"Yeah, about that. There's a couple at the door claiming to be Lydia's parents"

The line went silent for a long moment, just the sound of faint static due to the weather and his breathing were heard through the speakers.

"Mom, don't let them near her until we get there" he says ending the call without giving Anne a chance to respond.