Chapters 38 thru 40

Chapter Thirty-Eight

   Liam was sitting on the back porch with the twins when he caught sight of Danyka walking towards the woods.  She was in leggings and a t-shirt and sneakers.  Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail.  Her sword in its sheath strapped across her back.  He didn’t know why she was going into the woods alone.  Especially, after what had happened just yesterday, he called out her name, but she didn’t hear him.  He looked over at Fiona, Jordan and Fletcher to make sure that they had the twins.  After he was assured that the twins were taken care of, he followed her.  He picked up his pace and was pretty far into the woods before he finally caught up with her.  He caught her by the arm.  “Danyka, didn’t you hear me calling you?”  The smile that was on his face fell when he saw the look on her face.  “What’s wrong?”

   “I just need some time alone, Liam.” She slipped her arm from his grasp and took a step back. 

   He watched her take another step back and then another.  “No.”

   Danyka’s breath caught in her chest when she saw the fury in his grey eyes.  “What?”

   “I said, no.”  He stepped towards her.  She froze like a deer caught in the beam of headlights.  “You’re not walking away from me again.”

   “I’m no-“

   “Aren’t you?” He said and took the last step towards her.  “You’re putting a wall up now, Dany!” He didn’t touch her yet.  “Why? Why are you fighting us!?”

   “Because I still love you!” Danyka shouted back.  The emotions she had been holding back over the years had finally built up and exploded.  “I love you.”  She said again.  “I love you and I’m afraid that we won’t be able to live peacefully here.  I’m afraid that we won’t be able to sit on the porch and watch our children play in the yard.   I’m afraid that I’m not going to make it through this and be able to spend the rest of my life with you.  I just want to be with you and Fin and Freya.  I just want to love you.”  She stood there panting for air with tears streaming down her face.  She showed him now.  He could see in her eyes the love she had for him and the heartbreaking fear of what might happen if they can’t be together. 

   Danyka sighed as she saw the relief and the joy in Liam’s eyes.  “Ad unna, elskan.”

   Liam’s brows furrowed.  He had heard her say those words before, but he never knew what they meant. 

   “It means, I love you, my love.”  She sighed.  “I told you last night.  But you’re right.  I am a coward.  I couldn’t tell you where you could understand me.  But I can’t hold this back anymore.  Liam, I love you.  I’m so sorry that it has taken me so long to tell you again.  I’m so sorry that I have been hurting you.”

   Liam stepped to her then.  He wiped away her tears and framed her face in his hands.  “I love you, too.”  He placed his brow on hers.  “I can’t promise you that we will make it through this, but I promise that I will fight by your side every step of the way.  I believe that if we stay together through this, we will make it through.  And when we do, I can promise you that I will do everything in my power to love you for the rest of my life.”

   Danyka felt for the first time in four years the pressure that seemed to be weighing down on her lift.  She felt like she could breathe again.  The only thing that she felt now was pure love for the man standing in front of her.   This man was everything.   He accepted her for her.   He was her best friend.   He was her lover.   He was the father of her children.  He was her person.   And she loved him with everything she was.