Playing by the Rules

As soon as he realized the bathroom was open and that Kyle wasn't inside, Gabriel knew he had been tricked

As soon as he realized the bathroom was open and that Kyle wasn't inside, Gabriel knew he had been tricked. By the time he made it back to the dining room, Ash had already fled outside. He ran out after them, not even bothering to put his shoes on. But as soon as they drove off, he stormed back inside to get his keys and boots so he could chase after her, once again.

"Gabriel, what is going on?" his mother asked, confused.

"You have to trust me mama. I'll explain later."

His mother looked as though she was about to protest, but fortunately his father jumped in. "We do trust you, son."

Gabriel nodded, appreciating his father's faith in him...even if it was misplaced. He bolted out the door and into his car, driving in the direction Ash had gone. It wasn't long before he located her annoyingly blue car - a rookie mistake to choose such a distinctive vehicle - and began to follow her.

As Gabriel followed her, he grew even more frustrated. When she sped off in her rental car, he had hoped for a high-speed pursuit. He hadn't had one in a while, he enjoyed them, and he was rather good at them.

Instead, he got stuck pursuing the driving equivalent of his abuela going to church. Ash was driving under the speed limit, moving along slowly in the right lane as he tailed her from behind. She approached a large semi-truck that was going even slower than she was, and dutifully put on her left blinker to pass.

Gabriel shook his head in disbelief. "Is she seriously using her turn signal?" he asked aloud. He took his phone and called the number Ash had used to reach him before, hoping it would work.

She picked up on the third ring. "What?"

"This is the most pathetic excuse for a car chase I've ever been in," Gabriel complained.

"Well I'm sorry I'm not living up to your standards," she snapped back, putting her right turn signal on and merging back into the right lane.

"You realize that when you use your turn signal, I know exactly where you're going."

"Duh Gabriel. That's the whole point of a turn signal," she said as if he were the ridiculous one. "Improper signaling causes nearly one in five accidents - over two million per year."

"So jumping across buildings you're okay with, but speeding and improper signaling is where you draw the line," Gabriel mocked.

"I'm sorry you find my commitment to safe driving so irritating," she replied angrily.

"There's safe driving and then there's this. You're driving like you're taking a driving test."

"Well I wouldn't know."

"Wait...you never took your driver's test?" Gabriel asked, surprised.

"No Gabriel. I had other things going on in my life. So can you please just shut up and let me focus on driving?"