Three

Eva watched as the old woman measured her up explaining that they had to get her some more "feminine," clothes. As much as she knew she couldn't wear what she was wearing now, she had to admit it was the most comfortable item she has ever worn.

It didn't constrict her movements and it kept her warm even thought it was much less materials compared to all her gowns.

Eva sat down after what seemed like a countless time feeling faint and the old woman, Mary, approached her. She sent her a smile which Eva didn't really see reaching her face.

"Have you remembered anything?"

Yes.

"No," she lied shaking her head.

"Are you married child?"

Eva looked at her, what a strange question, "No," she said leaving out the part where she was engaged. But then again, that was obviously over. She eyed the bed in the room, could she just go back to sleep.

"The doctor will be arriving today,"

"Doctor?" Eva questioned.

Mary nodded, "Nothing serious, I just noticed a lot of injuries and I want to make sure...everything is like it's meant to be,"

Eva didn't understand what exactly she meant by that but nodded.

* * *

Kane wanted to stab the old man who was wasting his time. Instead he sat listening as his guest, Mr. Everstone kept talking.

God he needs to stop. Kane was nearly tempted to offer him one more of his cigars, so the old man would stop speaking and puff more smoke into the room, but those were his cigars and he didn't feel like shaking.

"Tell me Lord Kane, how is the lady?"

Kane drank from his glass, "What lady?" he questioned irritated, what on earth was the man about now.

"The one we found last night, is she well. I must speak to her...she seems very...familiar,"

Kane recalled what he was talking about, the kid that was wearing his clothes. He was still annoyed, how could Mary give her his clothes? Mary should have asked. He was so tempted to fire the old hag if it wasn't for that small sweet spot he had for her.

She was there since he was a child, he couldn't fire her.

"I'll enquire for you," now buy the damn estate.

Instead Kane remembered his manners and offered to show Mr. Everstone the statles. Maybe the high bred quality gelder he owned would make the man make an offer.

"No, he's imported from the Middle East," A very impressive black gelder was in front of them as Everstone walked around the horse. Kane patted the horse, a very expensive import that paid off in the end.

The horse had won countless races, and as the owned he got a large amount from every race. He looked at the commotion he heard at the gate. There was a carriage and Mary was beside it as a woman stepped out, one he recognised as the local midwife. Why was there a midwife here?

He narrowed his eyes, that was it. He was going to give Mary a lecture about warning him when she was going to call guests over.

"How old is he?"

"Seven," Kane replied.

Somehow even the horses and the estate didn't have Overtone make Kane an offer, instead the old man was more caught up in their other guest for some reason Kane didn't know.

"Have you seen the Piscina?" Kane asked referring to the large pool of water in the private chambers, it was like a great bath, but with imported tiles and features and a heating system.

"Yes, very impressive,"

If it's impressive, buy it.

"I'll have Mill get it ready for you, you should try it out," and make me an offer. Kane wanted this property off his hands as soon as he can. He made a mental note to tell his assistant. He looked up as he saw the mid-wife leave.

"Let us retire indoors," he said walking, leaving the chubbier man rush to keep up. He was going to have a stern word with Mary.

* * *

With child

The word was repeated in Eva's head as she looked at Mary closing the door. She knew something was wrong as the mid-wife checked over her, they knew. But who wouldn't.

She had been found in a state that was pretty obvious of what happened, and it was even further clear with her check.

"It's only a possibility,"

But Eva knew that with her luck the bastards seed was probably in her. Why didn't she think of this before? The mid-wife had said she would return in a week to check, it was too soon to tell.

"Are you alright child?"

No.

She looked up seeing the pity full eyes she was starting to hate and opened her mouth, "It in me?" she asked disgusted.

Out, she wanted it out.

"No, we-don't know yet. You are aware of your situation now, and i-,"

"I want it out," Eva said with a shaky voice staring at her flat mid-section, was it in her? Was it not? It was a parasite and she wanted it out. She wanted to move on and forget but it seemed the gods were punishing her for some reason. Giving her memories and a child she wanted nothing to do with.

Especially his child.

"No, get it out of me!" she screamed trying to get away from the old woman and her attempts to comfort her. She didn't want comforting, she wanted a solution to get it out. She saw the sharp knife in the fruit basket and reached for it.

Mary had brought it earlier hoping she would eat something, but her appetite was gone.

If they weren't going to get it out of her, she was going to do it herself.

"No child what are you doing," Mary called out as she grabbed the knife. Mary rushed over the side of the bed, "No give that to me, you're not with child!"

They were lying. She knew what a crime it was to kill a baby, but she was going to do it anyway.

"No let go of me!" she said trying to pull the knife back as Mary grabbed her hand.

She would stab it out, and then it would be over.

"No child, you're going to hurt yourself,"

That was the point.

"Get it out of me! Or I will!"

"Mary how many times do I need to tell you to tell me when people are coming over. Why do you hav-," Kane paused at the door blinking at the sight in front of him.

"What is going on here!"

Eva used her distraction to grab the knife towards her, simple, one blow to the abdomen, but before she could a much stronger arm grabbed her and pulled the knife out.

"What are you doing? Are you trying to associate my estate with a murder?!"

Eva looked up at the thunderous voice and equally scary man, the look on his face making her break into a sob and falling to the ground.

Kane was surprised, then confused and looked at Mary, "What did I do?"