Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

“Are you sure we’re going the right way?” I asked Nate doubtfully.

“I swear I came in this way yesterday,” he replied sternly.

I rolled my eyes. “I’m sure you did.”

We were trudging around the forest, still trying to find my way out. This smart one here called Nate forgot to mark where he came in from and now we’re hopelessly lost.

“Hey!”

Smiling sheepishly, I brushed some twigs out of my hair. “Did I say that out loud?”

“We’re not hopelessly lost,” Nate snapped. “We’re just lost.”

“So now you admit we’re lost. I see progress,” I smirked.

He scowled walked ahead. “Shove off.”

Almost tripping over a branch, I struggled to keep pace with his fast walking. “I was kidding,” I said solemnly.

Nate arched an eyebrow. “Were you?”

“Abso-tive-lutely.” Crossing my hand over my heart, I raised my chin and closed my eyes. “Scout’s honour.”

He ignored me and continued walking ahead.

“Can you wait? Not everyone has long legs you know,” I said out of breath, trying to catch up.

“Oh I forgot you were short.”

“I’m not short! I’m like 5’6”. That’s hardly short,” I said defensively.

Nate muttered something like “Could’ve fooled me” but didn’t say anything else. We were walking at a pretty fast pace and my stomach was grumbling.

I ran up to him and unzipped his bag. “You got anymore sandwiches?”

“No. Stop looking through my stuff, that’s – woah.”

A sudden force pulled me to the ground and I landed with a thud. Good thing I didn’t touch the floor or else I would’ve gotten scratches everywhere since I was wearing only a pair of short shorts and my bikini top.  You’re probably wondering what happened to my t-shirt. It caught on fire, no kidding.

“Now would be a good time to get off of me,” Nate groaned.

I quickly came to my senses and climbed off him. Standing back a bit, I gave him space to get up.

Gripping the tree beside him, Nate used it to stand up but as soon as he did, he toppled over again.

He winced and grabbed his ankle. “Ah.”

“What?”  I asked worriedly.

“My ankle…”

“I can see that,” I laughed.

When Nate sent me a sharp glare, I quickly coughed and looked away.

“I think I sprained it,” he said, pulling off his shoe and socks.

I glanced at him sceptically. All he did was trip over a branch. How much damage could that have done? “Maybe you just bruised it or something.”

“Bruised?! You think I would be in this pained state if it was only bruised?”

I looked around, smiling sheepishly. “Well…”

“You’re so mean. This really hurts you know,” Nate muttered.

Sighing to myself, I walked over to him. “Fine, let me see it.”

As I go closer, Nate shrunk more against the tree.