Chapter 10- Pegasus

Lumine POV

In the renowned resting place for travelers called Wangshu Inn, a certain short, blonde girl paced worriedly. Lumine had already wrapped up all commissions and the like early in the morning. So, unfortunately, she had a lot of free time on her hands. Even more unfortunately, she spent all of it brooding on the message she had received.

At this point of time, she was thinking 'All of this is so stressful... I only wanted to go away from home to have a break. Guess that I can't.' She sighed. 'How much I wish that something from Olympus was here with me... '

"Yo Bosslady!" She jumped, once again startled. She seemed to have put her guard down significantly while here. 

Something white came out of the sky, and she moved back. The thing landed smoothly, who seemed to be a white horse with wings. A huge grin appeared on her face, fast replaced by confusion. This was her pet pegasus, ironically named Jade. "How did you get here, Jade! Oh, please, please, pretty please don't give me any bad news." "Well, bosslady, I don't know nothing of what's going on at home, I had come here with ya. But I was seriously startin' to think that you wouldn't call out. "

"Huh? But we hadn't brought you along.... Wait, did you follow us here??"

Jade nervously fluttered his wings. "Don't be angry, milady, I just wanted to explore new worlds!" She sighed and said, " And I understand. Since I had been having the same feeling. But still, it was very irresponsible of you to do that, something could have happened to you like it happened to Aether." As a side thought, she added, "Don't call me milady or bosslady. Lumine it is." "As you say, milady." She groaned.

Now, most people would think that a girl talking to a horse was very weird. But not for Lumine. It was a known fact that children of Poseidon could freely communicate with equestrians and sea animals. Aaaand she loved the fact, that animals didn't blabber all her secrets away like humans are bound to do.

She heard footsteps behind her. Oh no. Someone's coming. "Jade, hide quick!" She mouthed. 

Too late. Verr Goldet came into view, walking right towards them, humming. She stopped abruptly, eyes widening. Took a step back. "Uh, Lumine? What in the name of Archons is that... thing?" Jade hooted angrily. 'I ain't a thing! I'm a pegasus, can't she see?'

"Relax, Jade..." She soothed. "I'll explain."

Turning to Verr, she said, "This is my pet from my homeland, who had followed me when we came to Tevyat."

"Ahh, I see. It seems to be... some sort of mythological creature?" "Quite right." She smiled. "This is Jade, my own pegasus." Verr's eyes widened excitedly. "Ooooh, a winged pegasus! I love them!" 'Milady, she doesn't seem to be so bad.' Lumine chuckled. "Oh, she isn't." 

By now, the soft warm rays of evening had given way to the inky darkness of night, dotted by countless stars. Turning to Goldet, she said, "Well, Verr, I'll take my leave now... If  it's alright with you?" "Oh, but of course."

"Come on Jade. I am really craving a soar in the sky." "You've come to the right person!" Easily climbing onto Jade's back, she nodded to let him know she was ready. He took some paces pack, then galloped forward, lifting into the sky. Oh, the feel of the air rushing, being hundreds of miles above the ground... She had sorely missed this. They flew in circles around Wangshu Inn, growing in altitude. Until she noticed something. An inhuman cry. Flashes of blood. Narrowing her eyes, she said, "Jade, drop me down there real quick." He neighed.

What she hadn't noticed was flashes of teal amongst the trees.

Xiao POV

This was getting harder every night. The monsters kept getting stronger. He quickly donned his mask, plunging from the air at the cursed creatures. But they were swarming him. He chopped one down, pierced another, kicked a third away. It wasn't enough.

Then he heard something. a neigh. Before he could turn to see what it was, a familiar voice called out, "Keep fighting!" Lumine. What was she doing here? 

Lumine jumped down, her sword instantly appearing in her hands. She narrowed her eyes at the monsters, then her sword seemed to melt away, replaced by one made of shining gold. She motioned to him, as if to say 'come on'.

She started slashing at the creatures with him. Something white was swooping down repeatedly, knocking some of them down. Lumine exclaimed, "Jade, don't join in." She periodically released gusts of air and waves of water from her sword, that didn't wet him.

After a few minutes, they were looking at the remains of those demons of the night, affected by swirling black. His breathing was heavy, but Lumine looked unfazed. Turning towards him, she crossed her arms. "Well?" she asked. "Well what?" "I gave you answers to your questions, now you will answer mine." "I don't see a reason to." "Moral obligation." She said easily. "Things are always two-way. Now. You have karma, don't you?" He blinked at her. "What makes you think that?" "I just know. But I am right, aren't I? Your karma is why you keep away from cities and crowded places, why you are so reclusive. And don't lie to me."

He stared at her, astonished for a bit, before sitting down under a tree, regaining his strength. "Well, yes." he admitted. Lumine sat down next to him and said, "But why don't you ask anyone for help? There are people in this world who can. I, for starters, can help you out with the monsters. An alchemist friend of mine can create potions that might help with your karma." "Because I brought this burden upon myself, and it is mine to bear." he said sharply. 

Lumine's piercing gold eyes bored into him, before she sighed and said, "I was only trying to help you. I won't interfere from next time." She got up and called out, "Jaa-aade! Come on, buddy."

His eyes widened as something white, and majestic trotted forward. It was a horse with things, and he knew it was a mythical animal called pegasus. But they didn't exist in this world....

She mounted it, then gave him one last glance, full of sadness and pity. Then she kept her hand on the horse's mane, which galloped and took off into the sky. He watched as they disappeared into the night, growing smaller and smaller. 

He sat down again. Her words were ringing in his head. 'Moral obligation.' 'I just know.' 'I was only trying to help.' 'I won't interfere from next time.' She had helped him, he didn't think he could have finished off the monsters alone. And he hadn't even said a thank you, then rejected her offer to help. It was only then that he realized, that she might feel hurt... That he had been nothing but an ungrateful brat.

And for the first time, he felt sorrow. And guilt. Bone- wrenching guilt, the kind that made him want to immediately go and apologize to her. If he could find her. He stared off into the night sky, his whirling thoughts putting him into a fitful sleep. 

(1207 words. 

I am starting to think, that perhaps my brain isn't working well XD XD brainrot in other words. Especially since I'm kinda busy. So I hope this chapter came out fine...)