Background info on Martíns life so far

Martíns Grandparents were both Peruvian and decided one day to travel to Colombia because of how close it was to Peru, and there they had Martíns Mother. His Mother Rosá, then meets his Father Andrés as he was also a Peruvian in Colombia but who lived there only for a little while. They later on got married and such and such.

When Rosá was 24, she gave birth to Martín in 1915 durning The Great World War. By the time Martín was 4, it was 1919 after the war, but many things happened in Colombia during those years, a massive unemployment rate raised since the war and how the country and US had some anti-US policy. So, in an attempt to get a better chance of living and a better life, his parents decided to make a big trip to Mexico. It took almost a whole year just from walking & only a little of driving from busses from their lack of money and staying in little houses. it was harder having Martín as they had to make sure he wasn't sick, tired, or starving.

They would finally arrive in Mexico & said they would live there from now on, but everything changed when the Great Depression hit. Their whole plan getting a better life was ruined. The thing they were escaping from suddenly came back with another massive unemployment rate.

It was 1929 Martín was 14. Their first thought was to go to Texas but knew they search more of immigrants there since now everyone was desperate for a job, so they would decide to move to California to find a new living there and hopefully a job.

As they where in the Middle of their travels Martíns Mother Rosá, would soon pass due to a unknown sickness at the age of 38, leaving him and his Father to continue on trying to find a house or job. As time passed no luck, It was hard as they faced lots of racial discrimination & they didn't have a lot of money to spend on, so they had to resort to stealing a lot, they risk their lives to even eat something but they find a way to run away and hide if they where caught. They usually get some money & a place to stay by cleaning people's houses but by very little wages and, of course, poor treatment.

Their clothes were dirty as they couldn't afford to buy new ones, they had to sell a lot of their personal belongings even some that were the most special they had. They had bindles, to only bags, to nothing at all, all stored in pockets in their ragged clothes.

1930 (Martíns 15 now) is when they started deporting a lot of people, especially people of color, so they had to be very careful. One day, His Dad, Andrés finally got a work slip to go to a ranch and plan to make at least some money to support themselves. They have decided to walk instead since they've been used to walking long anyway and not wanting to spend much money on the buses.

(BTW Martíns Dad[Andrés] does understand English but can't speak it well, so he just speaks Spanish)