CHAPTER SIX △ #305

I was bundled up in a warmth equivalent to a million coffee dates and fireplace kisses - not that I had experienced either of those things. But blanketed under walls and walls of puffy jackets and cream knitted scarves, I liked to imagine that this was how snug those situations were.

"We're going to the ice skating rink, not Antarctica," Chen hid a sharp laugh behind his gloved hand as I waddled into his room like a penguin. While cosy and comfortable, these clothes were not made for mobility.

"It's cold and I'm a responsible woman who knows how to keep herself from getting sick, thanks," I argued, tugging my cobalt blue beanie down over my eyes.

"If you say so," my best friend lifted his shoulders in a dismissive shrug. He was in a nice, expensive-looking cotton jacket with a maroon, duck-down vest pulled over the top. Thick, clunky boots kept his toes toasty and I compared them to my fuchsia converse (the only closed toe shoes I had which still fit) with jealousy. His fluffy mop of hair peeked out of the top of his turtleneck.

"Who're we waiting for?" I looked around their family lounge, which I had become so accustomed to over the last four years. It was a little more spacious than ours and I loved it. Leaning on one of the leather sofas, I crossed and uncrossed my legs impatiently. Apparently a few of Chen's friends were going to join us on the ride there, but they were obviously running late.

"Oh, just a few others," he replied nonchalantly. He too was watching the hands on the clock slowly move in a circle. "You know most of them - didn't Sunny go to your middle school? And, um, Taeyeon?"

At the mention of the second name, we both paused. The tension in the air thickened. The reason was, well, it wasn't that there was anything wrong with Taeyeon. In my honest opinion, she was just a bit too much - of everything. Yes, she was beautiful compared to most other girls, with her heart-shaped face and long, slender legs. She was friendly too, but she seemed a little too bubbly and happy, like she was on a continual sugar high.

"Why'd you invite her?" I tried to keep my voice controlled and calm but it wobbled, just a bit. I soundlessly hoped that Chen didn't notice.

"It's been a while," he justified, shifting his weight from one leg to another apprehensively. Speaking of the devil, there was a light tap on the door.

"Jongdae~" she said in her sing-song voice. She was the only "friend" of his who called him by his proper name. I heard her desperation before I saw it. But when my eyes travelled to the open doorway, I didn't know what to expect.

She and Sunny were both in matching primrose trench-coats, with stylish, thermal tights on underneath. Taeyeon stalked in with her high-heeled boots, reeking of imprudence, confidence and some disgusting perfume. Sunny waved shyly at me from behind her.

Taeyeon lunged at Chen, engulfing him in a tight bear hug. I wanted to throw up my breakfast. Keeping it down, I shuffled over to Sunny.

"Long time no see," I greeted her, smiling brightly in an attempt to ignore the scene going on over there. Sunny, doe-eyed with light mocha ringlets of hair, was one of my close girl friends in middle school. In high school she was contaminated by the she-devil herself and had lived in Taeyeon's shadow ever since. That didn't make her any less of the kind, adorable person she always was though.

"How are you doing these days, Chunhei?" she smiled gently. I briefly filled her in about the last few years of high school and how everything's supposedly been great. While the conversation started as polite chitchat, we quickly revived the old jokes and topics of talk we had as kids. I almost forgot that Taeyeon was there. Almost.

"Let's go, guys." Chen eventually pulled us out the door, along with Taeyeon who had an arm wrapped around his neck. We arrived at the ice skating rink, the big one in the city, by train. A few of Chen's guy friends where already there, trying to impress some other teenage girls dressed way too skimpily for the chilly skate rink. Once they saw Chen they severed away, shouting words of "Happy Birthday!"