Chapter Three: Ari

My lemonade nearly exited through my nose. There, sitting down with Wilder and Carter, was the hottest guy that I had ever laid eyes on. A little nudge from Maddie let me know that I was staring at him, so I recollected myself before doing something stupid, like drooling.

I realized that Wilder, Carter, and Mr. Hottie hadn't met Jordyn yet. "Guys, this is Jordyn, this is her first year here." I introduced her. Jordyn gave a friendly wave and smile.

"Oh, cool." Said Wilder. "This is my friend Brenn. He usually goes to baseball camp, but I dragged him here instead." He said, earning a nudge from Mr. Hottie, actually, now Brenn. I still thought that Mr. Hottie suited him better. 

"It's great seeing y'all again!" Carter exclaimed. We had always been a friend group at camp and it had been forever since we'd seen each other. 

"I know, right!" Maddie replied, taking a bite out of her burger. Mine was delicous, with savory flavors. I had missed the camp food.

"Are we going to the campfire after this?" Asked Wilder.

"What?" Brenn scoffed. "Oh, and I bet you sing songs too." He sarcastically said.

"That's for the younger kids." I pointed out. "But we do have smores, and a lot of times, we do these funny skits."

"That seems like fun." Jordyn piped up. 

"It is!" Carter assured Jordyn. I couldn't tell, but it kind of seemed like he had a thing for her.

We finished our meals and left our trays at the conveyor belt, where they would be cleaned off by the staff. "Where is the campfire?" Brenn questioned.

"It's just down a walking path." Said Maddie, walking along a wooded path. We reached an area close to the lake with a few stands set up, a burning campfire, and a little elevated stage. Some counselors were behind a fold-up table with chocolate, marshmallows, graham crackers, and sticks. I recognized one of the counselors as Aimee, then a redhead girl, and an athletic looking guy.

"Everyone grab your s'more then sit down on the stands!" Aimee yelled, cupping her hands around her mouth to make it louder.

I grabbed the supplies and began toasting my marshmallow. "How do you like yours done?" I asked.

"Not burnt, but crispy, if that makes sense." Brenn answered, carefully looking and twisting his marshmallow-on-a-stick.

"Same!" I said. 

After finishing our smores, the counselors gathered around the campfire. "Campers!" The redhead yelled. "We will be doing our first night of skits!"

A bunch of murmuring aroused by the campers, quickly cut off by the voice of the guy. "The prompt is: 'What are you doing here?'. Y'all can split into groups and work on it."

Naturally, us six grouped together. "What should it be?" Wilder asked as we walked to a clearing to practice.

"Hmm." Jordyn thought. "Maybe a night guard and someone robbing something?" She suggested.

"Oh! The Crown Jewels!" Carter suddenly yelled.

"That sounds good." Maddie commented. "So, who will do what?"

"Me, Maddie, Brenn, and Wilder can be the thieves, and Jordyn and Carter can be the night guards, if that's ok with y'all." I said.

"Sounds good," Said Wilder.

--

We finished rehearsing and watched two of the groups preform, and then it was our turn.

"Action!" Aimee said.

Us four pretended to sneak onstage. I crept silently towards the "jewl" (a.k.a. A s'more on a wooden log), dramatically tip-toeing. 

"What are you doing here?" Jordyn demanded, using a loud, projective voice.

"We-uh..." I said, purposefully sutttering on my line.

"We were just..." Wilder continued.

"Umm, polishing the gems?" Maddie squeaked.

"After them!" Carter dramatically yelled.

We took off. I accidently tripped over my sneaker and came flying down to the wooden stage. However, I knocked someone else down too. After a searing pain, I came face-to-face with Brenn underneath me.