CHAPTER 5

CHAPTER 5

"Kind of?"

"That's what he said. We had the same lunch break, and I asked him what's the deal with the two of you," Jayden said to me.

My curiosity sparked. "And?"

"I asked if you two broke up, and that was his answer."

"That we kind of?"

Jayden nodded. "And can we get out of here? I heard you spent a cozy time with Sam here the other day, but honestly speaking, this place is giving me the creeps."

"It's because of those Halloween costumes in that open box. And we did not! Sam and I were talking about creepy stories, and all of a sudden, there was a spork on my neck and I screamed and almost fainted. Jayd, it was really scary. All I could think about was that I was dead and I'd been turned into a vampire—"

Holding a hand up, he interrupted me, "Wait, a vampire?"

Nodding my head, I went on, "Yes, a vampire! I mean, I didn't know it was a spork. And then Sam got scared that I was acting like that. He sort of cradled me and hushed me and told me that it was going to be alright. And that's what they did in the movies! How can I not think that I had been turned and got scared after?"

"Um, normal people don't assume that they'd been turned," Jayden said.

"Well," I paused, "I couldn't help it. It was really scary. There were too many signs, and I couldn't ignore the possibility."

"Of being turned? Into a vampire?" Jayden asked, spelling it out for me.

"Fine. Okay, so not everyone has my pattern of thinking, but this is how my mind goes," I said, sulking in my thoughts. Was it so bad that I had this normal response to everything?

Jayden narrowed his eyes at me. "You must have enjoyed that cuddling."

"Stop teasing me about Sam!" I threw a stress ball to his head.

"Ouch," he said, rubbing his head.

"Speaking of which, that was the scene that KN saw," I told Jayden.

"Explains his reaction."

"He didn't exactly have any reaction," I said, disheartened. Well, I actually expected KN to create a scene. Okay, so I kind of wished that he would do something other than just stare at us. Once upon a time, he did love me, right? Wait, so yes, he never told me, but I always believed the signs. Like his kisses. The way he pulled me in his arms.

This was very sad.

"Okay, you're crying out of nowhere again. Are you sure you don't need any professional help, Fiona?"

I sniffed. "I'm glad you're here, Jayd."

"I do enjoy working, I realized. And you have an overreacting imagination, but we all know that. There's no need to feel miserable about it. And KN? He's not irreplaceable," Jayden said, trying to console me.

"I still love him." And he was irreplaceable. There could never be another KN. It was mostly for the world. It couldn't possibly hold another complex person like him.

"We also know that," Jayden said to me. "I really hate to say this right now, but I don't really like it here. Did you already get the extra plates? I have the box of spoons here."

"I do. Ha! You're scared, aren't you?"

"Coming from someone who thought she had been turned into a vampire," Jayden replied, pushing me out of the door. He put down the box that he was holding and locked the storage room. "And the other day, a group of customers was talking about this certain folklore around here. Goosebumps, I tell you."