Scene Four

Scene 4: Vlad the Bunny 

    Summary: Horton is released and the clover is returned to him. All the animals around him are excited and happy, because they could finally hear the Whos. Going along with a joke made earlier in the movie, a bunny named Vlad gives Horton a cookie. (watch the movie and it will make sense.) Horton takes it and is about to eat it, when he notices Kangaroo, alone and rejected, behind the crowd. Kangaroo had tormented Horton the whole movie. She had threatened him, spread lies about him, had him caged and tied up. He had every reason to leave her alone and defeated as she was in that moment, but he didn’t. He pushes through the crowd of animals to reach her side and offers her the cookie. Kangaroo is surprised, then she smiles and takes the cookie. In return, she pulls a small umbrella from her pouch and puts it over the clover, shading it from the sun. The animals and Kangaroo then accompany Horton as he brings the speck to their new, safe, and stable home. 

    Interpretation: So, I loved this scene! Again, I had read a whole book about martyrs beforehand and in almost every story, when the martyr is being whipped or beaten or is on the verge of death, they never turn on their tormentor. Instead they showed compassion, forgiveness, and kindness; and lots of times, this actually led that person to come to Christ later or even in that moment. There are two more things I want to mention: the cookie and the umbrella. Bear with me. 

The cookie: the cookie was originally offered to Horton by Vlad the bunny, who we see among the crowd of animals. Instead of eating it, Horton turns around and gives it to Kangaroo. In my mind, the cookie represents forgiveness. Let me explain. The cookie being given to Horton symbolizes the apologies of his friends and neighbors who moments before had caged him and roped him, which he accepted happily. When Horton then turns around and gives the cookie to Kangaroo, it represents his forgiveness of Kangaroo’s cruelty toward him the entirety of the movie. Kangaroo is surprised by this gesture, but gratefully accepts. 

The umbrella: Kangaroo pulls out a small umbrella and uses it to shelter Horton’s speck. Umbrellas can symbolize shelter and protection (because that’s what they do…). Kangaroo, the leader of the jungle, offers protection and security. There are so many ways to look at this. Think about it for yourself. 

Implication: Compassion is something we, as believers of Christ, are called to show every day. Especially to those who don’t deserve it. Jesus tells us to love our enemies and to “bless those who persecute you.” This is really hard! But, oh my goodness, what a difference it will make. 

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor   and hate your enemy.’  But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."
(Matthew 5:43‭-‬44)