Three Days Away

Chapter 37 - Three Days Away

*Grey's POV*

Once Evans finishes bandaging my leg I stand. Stretching I head up the road toward Matt and Murphy. As I make my way over I catch the tail end of their conversation.

"We could all use a distraction," Murphy say as he watches the sun rise.

Stopping just behind Murphy I cross my arms and ask, "distraction from what?"

Both of the men turn in surprise. Neither say a word, just stare at me.

"What?"

"Nothing, sorry. You just caught us off guard," Matt finally responds. Matt glances at Murphy before adding, "just talking about how we need to stop for rest."

"That's right," Murphy pips in when I give him a look.

I sigh and roll my eyes, "alright. So where are we resting?"

"Looks like a place just up the road," Matt says; pointing.

In the distance I can just make out what appears to be a police station. An abandoned police station! The C-B radio told us told us that Safe Haven was only three days away after the abandoned police station! I feel my heart tighten with hope and excitement.

"Murphy! That's.."

"I know," he smiles. "We're almost there."

Suddenly feeling giddy, I forget about the pain and sorrow, and find myself hugging Murphy. With my face against his warm chest I feel him tense in surprise before slowly relaxing. After a moment he returns the hug. Lightly, his lips brush against the top of my head as he whispers, "we're almost there."

I smile into his chest before awkwardly taking a step back. Looking up at his face I find his warm gaze peering back down. Quickly I break eye contact and look around. I feel my face redden with embarrassment as I notice everyone in our group watching us, Baird and Evans included.

"Well," I say clapping my hands together. "Let's get going. The sooner we get there, the sooner we can rest and get to Safe Haven."

Still watching me Murphy nods, "she right. Let's move out."

"Yes sir," Matt responds before he begins walking.

Evans follows without a word, his eyes glued on the ground. Trailing him is Baird. He smirks as he passes us.

I feel my face grow warm in embarrassment once again. Sighing I drop my gaze to my feet.

"Come on, I'll help ya' walk," Murphy says as he loops an arm around my waist.

"M-Murphy," I stutter, "I think that, that I can can handle it now, with the stick out."

"Precaution," he states before taking my arm and wrapping it over his shoulders. "Don't need ta' add more to your forever growin' list of injuries."

I playfully glare up at him as we slowly move forward, "shut up, dumb-ass."

"I told ya' not ta' call me that."

"What was that, Dumb-ass? I couldn't quiet hear you over your stupid."

Now Murphy looks down at me. He face is blank of any expression but he's eyes reflect a mischievous look. "Least I didn't tie myself in a tree with only a knife ta' protect me."

"Whatever, your still the dumb-ass."

Murphy laughs once and looks up the road.

We both grow silent as we walk, lost in our own thoughts. My mind swirls with everything that has just happened. One moment I was sitting in the forest with Murphy, the next escaping from a hoard of cannibals. Another moment I was riding in the back of a truck, peacefully sleeping next to Murphy only to then be thrown into a culvert as the truck rolled. Seconds later I was saved by Murphy only to discover we lost Zoey in the accident. Now, only moments ago we discovered how close we are to reaching Safe Haven.