9 - What Was Mira Doing in Your Dream?

Book: Mikaelson Twins
Chapter 9
Word Count: 3312

2:00 AM

Hope and Miracle were still in Dr Saltzman's office with Alaric. They were trying to find information about the second key to malivore.

"How long do you think it'll be before the next monster shows up?" Hope asked.

"It's hard to say. I've never actually seen an artifact glow before." Alaric responded as he took a few books down from his shelf. "Where did you hide the urn, by the way?"

"I'm not sure we should tell you." Miracle muttered.

"Excuse me?" Alaric scoffed, quite offended that she didn't trust him enough to tell him.

"Isn't it safer if only one of us knows where it is?" Miracle pointed out.

"Well then that one of us should be the adult." Alaric argued, which made Hope roll her eyes.

"Funny because I thought it should be the one of us with high-level superpowers. Or two of us, I suppose."

"I suppose?" Miracle chuckled. "H, I'm older than you, so I'm basically stronger." She then decided to change the subject slightly. "What do we tell everyone else? We should probably warn them before a cyclops crashes exam week."

"It's usually best to start with some form of the truth." Alaric sighed.

"What about those times the truth is the one thing you can't say?" Miracle mentioned, looking at her twin. Alaric turned to Hope.

"Are you sure you want to keep all of this from Landon? I mean, I understand you wanting to protect him, but--"

"He's been wondering about his mother his whole life. He finally meets her and then she dies. If I can keep him from knowing what that feels like, then it's worth it." Hope stated. "Look, guys, it's my secret to keep. Please..."

"Okay." Miracle shrugged.

"The trick is to give everyone the right amount of information without giving away too much. We've been through this before with the knife, so it shouldn't come as too much of a shock. This is our chance to do things differently, more responsibly." Alaric explained.

---

Alaric had gathered both students and teachers in the grand hall for an emergency assembly.

"Yesterday, I came into possession of another Malivore artifact." He began. "It was my hope to find a method of containment before it signaled another monster, but given the emergency meeting I've just called, I'm sure you can guess how well that went." The students started to talk quietly between each other. "But rest assured, we are taking every precaution. Sheriff Donovan has been kind enough to open the doors of the Lockwood Mansion to us, so Mr Williams and Mrs Salvatore are now in the process of evacuating our students from the lower grades."

"Why don't we just evacuate the damn artifact?" Kaleb asked.

"We are much more well-equipped than the world at large to handle the arrival of a monster." Alaric replied. "Once we know what we're dealing with, and the problem is contained, then we can reassess what to do with the artifact. If any of you would like to evacuate, please talk to Dorian or Ariana. However, exam week will continue as scheduled, wherever you are." The students all groaned. "I know. I'm sorry. I can't exactly call the state accreditation board and tell them that we're canceling the exams because of monsters. We'll get through this, I promise. Try and get some rest, okay? Good night."

The Salvatore students were quickly dismissed and they all made their way out of the grand hall.

---

7:00 AM