Chapter Five: Come With Me

(Keaira)

That was close. That was so close. Whatever Ryan was involved in was big. The gang rumors, it would seem, were true. If this was the case, I somehow got mixed up in it. Ugh, I shouldn't have followed him. But his pull is so strong, it's like he's not human.

That last part struck something. They were talking about bonds. That's not exactly normal.

I slid to the floor, the science fiction book shelf scratching at my back.

I needed to forget it. I needed to just move on. I've hit a new low. I was turning into a creeper. This was not like me at all.

The bell rang. Onto my next class.

Before I could leave the library, I noticed something was missing: my bracelet with 'Keaira' engraved in the charm.

A few days later, I noticed that, despite the burning feeling of whatever was connecting the two of us, Ryan and I avoided each other like the plague.

Resisting him was getting to the point of physical pain. I literally ached to be around him, yet after that day in the attic, I couldn't bring myself to look at him. It seemed that no matter where I was, he was there and I was beginning to feel sick to my stomach. This, I knew, was not normal.

(Ryan)

I avoided her at all costs. The bonds were beginning to fully take effect, because I could no longer resist the pull of it. Ever bit of my previous indifference was gone. Due to the nature of a Guardian's bond, I'd eventually cave in and she'd become my priority. My one and only mission. The only thing that made it difficult, was that there was no denying the fact she knew who and what we were.

I was on my way to English, when I saw Keaira walking in my direction down the same hall.

I swear I've never turned so fast in the opposite direction from anything or anyone.

I was just about to turn a corner, when I saw Kendrick (masquerading as the assistant principal) giving me a look that could kill.

I knew then what I had to do.

"Keaira!" I called.

I knew that the sound of my voice would break down any resistance that she had.

It was obvious that she tried to run. She tried to push her legs forward and pretend that she didn't hear me, but it was no use. I would have had the same reaction had she been the one to call me.

Keaira turned around and walked toward, me, head held down and looking toward her feet.

"I have something..."

I noticed her tense at those words.

"I have something that belongs to you."

She looked up as I held out my hand, her bracelet directly in the center of my palm.

Keaira looked sick.

"Thank you", she mumbled.

I sighed. I could feel Kendrick watching me.

"Look, Keaira, I'm gonna need you to come with me."

She recoiled from me as if she would get burned.

"Why?"

"You know why. And for the things you don't know, they'll all be explained. I know that you couldn't help but be there, it was just a bad time. I can't explain everything."

I grabbed her hand.

"Keaira, just come with me."

A/N: I sincerely am sorry for making you wait for so long. I recently made the dance team and we've been working on performing and practicing, so I've been dead tired.

I appreciate many of you coming out to read my story still. There is one more chapter in this novella before I start planning for the actual trilogy. Look out for it.

Now on to the usual author's note...

This was the official CHAPTER FIVE!!!! I sincerely hope you enjoyed the newest installment!!!

COMMENT, VOTE, FOLLOW, RECOMMEND!!! I also greatly appreciate critiques :) All those things will keep the chapters coming (hopefully more regularly as my schedule settles down)! I appreciate you all keeping me focused and motivating me to continue! Happy 2015!!!

Much Love,

Afrofuturista <3